can u get HP out of 6 cyl.'s

A

Anonymous

im looking at buying a 66 mustang, it has a 200 6cyl. i have to admit i wanted an 8 cyl.

Is it possible to get any real HP out of a 6 cyl or is it better just to get an 8. Ive read on different forums, ive learned about the problems with the breathing issues with the 6 to get more Hp.

What do u guys suggest ???

Yea, it's possible, but it takes a lot of $$$. I have over $4,000 in a freshly rebuilt turbocharged 200, and I expect it to have around 300 hp at the crank. they cost a lot more to go fast, but can if you build them right.

most of the guys hre stick with a 6 just to be diffrent. not for the insane amout of power they make

one good think about mustangs with tired 6 engines under the hood is that there usually alot cheaper then ones with tird 289's under the hood with just about th same potential

I would suggest going with what you say you really want. I'm not here to talk things up, or consider one thing as a substitute for something else. Others might want to!

im looking at buying a 66 mustang, it has a 200 6cyl. i have to admit i wanted an 8 cyl.

i wanted a v8 too, but a 66 mustang is cool anyways. and if you want a lot of power you can always swap a 289 or 302 in it.

8)

Just rememebr if you buy a I6 Mustang and want to convert it to a V8 your going to have to upgrade the entire drivetrain to the V8 standard. That is gonna cost money.

my cars not insanely fast but WAS faster than slightly modded newer gt stangs, and was faster than my 95 gt, that was of coarse until I stuck a 150 shot of nitrous on it... the 6 cylinder will be back sometime and will be faster.

can the 6 make power yes it can an off its nut engine turbo can crack over 800hp before nos thats what the top crossflows are pulling out in aus so id imagen the new alloy 2v should at the least match that if not better it.
or if so desire you could buy a 1000hp+tubo doch beast from nizpro in melbourne here and fit that i think there test engine is cracking 1200hp now.
one of those engine's ant cheap but anywhere from 15-30g depending on what you got.
so yes they do and can make big hp and low et's
but if youn want to run around with a nice easy to drive car non turbo once you start pushing over 1hp per cube they get a unruly
and turbo once you start pushing past 400hp.
some times from the aus 6 boys

Forced Induction

1. Joe Gauci - TD 8.56 @ 158 WSID (turbo)
2. MarkZE - TE 9.37 @ 140.93mph Willowbank (turbo)
3. Dave Adams - TC 9.63 @ 134mph AIR??? (NOS)
4. Ant Briggs - TF 9.658 @ 139.58mph Willowbank (turbo)
5. Tony Jovevski - TD 10.108 @ 132.99 WSID (turbo)
6. Neb Dimitrejvic - TE 10.31 @ 132mph Heathcote (TRB 041) (turbo)
7. OUTLAW - TE 10.7@119, HP, Auto (NOS)
8. turbocorty - TD 10.8 @ 122mph (turbo)
9. Azza (TE-JET) - TE 11.7 @ 99MPH Calder (Turbo, untubbed)
10.kristian (sleepercorty) - TE 12.90 @ 104 mph (turbo)

N/A

1. OUTLAW - TE 11.51@111, HP, Auto
2. OTD250 - TD 11.7@112, Willobank, Auto
3. Injected250- 12.022@111, calder auto.
4. Rob S -TD 12.30@111.85, Willowbank, Auto
5. Cyco6 - TF 12.35 @ 108.5 Willowbank, auto
6. NOS200 - TE 12.4 @ 109, Willowbank, Auto
7. xlr8ed - TE 13.02 @ 104
8. Kiwi - TF 13.28 @ 103.73, Heathcote, Manual, 3.7's
9. PRO250 - TE 14.3 @97 mph, WSID
10. Oscar - TF 15.96 @ 83, WSID, Auto, 3.45's, Weber

thank you for all the reply's... id really like to look at putting a turbo or charger on a 6. I think that would be a nice touch..

Is there any good resources on where to start and how ?

I agree with 250mav, "most of the guys here stick with a 6 just to be diffrent. not for the insane amout of power they make"
Many people here enjoy doing things a little different, or being able to surprise people, "you did that with a six?!?" I come from a family that used to race various inline sixes (mainly ford, but also chevy & chrysler), so I guess I'm just following a "tradition" so to speak. I've also had to learn a lot more about the vehicle & engine as I do much of my own stuff, there just isn't the support for the I6 crowd that there is for the V8. As much as we all would love to see another crazy inliner on this site, I'd say go for what you're interested in. Regardless, have fun with the car, thats the whole point in getting it in the first place. ;)
To tell you the truth, if you really want insane power, get a big-block V8, something along the lines of a 427 FE or a 460. Just some thoughts.
Edwin

A lot of the comments about do it because it's different make sense.

I drive a 2V250 falcon GS with a top loader. It's a rare car here as most folks in those days got a 302 or 351 if they wanted more performance and in Aus the standard car in the 60's and 70's tended to be a six. The obvoius upgrade therefore was to an V8.

Ford dropped the 2V in 1973 because the market shifted to V8's for higher performance cars and Chrysler had the big six segment covered.

As a result at most of the Ford car shows in Aus it is wall to wall V8's. When I show my car it always attracts a crowd because people find it to be unusual and probably a bit exotic.

I love driving it and would never put an V8 in it.

Mark

mkeily":18hjn6gc said:
A lot of the comments about do it because it's different make sense.

I drive a 2V250 falcon GS with a top loader. It's a rare car here as most folks in those days got a 302 or 351 if they wanted more performance and in Aus the standard car in the 60's and 70's tended to be a six. The obvoius upgrade therefore was to an V8.

Ford dropped the 2V in 1973 because the market shifted to V8's for higher performance cars and Chrysler had the big six segment covered.

As a result at most of the Ford car shows in Aus it is wall to wall V8's. When I show my car it always attracts a crowd because people find it to be unusual and probably a bit exotic.

I love driving it and would never put an V8 in it.

Mark

Yep, and you know what shits me....
One of my good friends had a 2V 250 XY Fairmont GS, column auto, Wild Violet in colour with white trim. He did a rebuild on it, the engine was fresh, body done with a 2 pack paint job, the trim still original, but in good condition.
My friend sells the car to another bloke, the first thing he does, pulls the 250 and bolts in a blown 351C!
There are any number of XY GS and GT lookalikes for sale, why did this bloke have to pull apart a rare option, matching numbers car?

8) the first thing you need to d ois decide what you want from the car. if you are insane amounts of cheap power, then a V8 is the way to go. if you want a car that is different from the norm, and still has the power to run reasonably hard at the track, then build a six and have fun. for the most part pulling 1-1.3hp per cubic inch is fairly easy to do especially if you use a turbo or other forced induction system. more than that though gets expensive with any engine. one more thing to understand, there is always someone out there that is faster than you are.

This is a bit late, but I thought I'd weigh in on this regardless and my opinion is somewhat hypothetical since I haven't driven my car yet. Ever!!!

The reason I went with a six is primarily because it should handle better than an 8. Vehicle handling dynamics is driven (no pun intended) largely by the location of the Center Of Mass wrt to the geometric center of the car. The further back the C.O.M. is, the more responsive the car will be - in fact, if the C.O.M. is behind the geometric center, the car becomes unstable but highly responsive. For example, the Porsche911 (with a rear engine) is very twitchy which is why it has such a loyal following and why few old Porsches exist - most of them are wrapped around trees someplace. If you do the math and derive the equations, you'll find that cars like this have similar eigenvectors and -ve imaginary numbers to an inverted pendulum (I can't explain it better than that anymore - it's been a few years: It is completely counterintuitive). The big old American cars from the 60's and 70's are the opposite extreme - with their huge engines in the front, they are very stable and great for highway cruising, but are very sluggish and unresponsive to steering input. Another example: it's quite popular to put the battery in the trunk of the car because it improves performance - this is purely a handling improvement since it shifts the C.O.M. of the car further back.

The 6 should be a more fun car to drive on a day-to-day basis and around town since the amount of forward weight is quite a bit less (300lbs???) than an 8 with the same chassis geometry. Also, keep in mind that the Porsche 911 of the early 70's only had about 140hp and a dry weight of roughly 2250 lbs, giving it only a marginally better power-to-weight ratio than a 6cylMustang, and with some mods the 6cyl mustang will have a better ratio than this and better than or equal to most modern cars.

No shame in owning a six and you're not settling for anything - in my opinion, it's a better choice when it's all said and done.

Back