plastic oil pan gasket washer?

matt1967

Famous Member
where does this peice go? In my original Corteco gasket set, there was no mention on what to do with it, so my teacher and I couldn't find refrence to it in the manuals we did have ( 1974 Motors manual, and a 1978 Motors Manual
). so we left it out. well, I'm dropping my oil pan tomorrow to replace oil pump, with another new oil pump ( Melling ), so I went to the parts house and got a new oil pump, oil pump drive, and a oil pan gasket set. well this gasket set has the washer so it HAS to go somewhere? can it effect oil preassure? reason I ask, is I still show 3 PSI at idle. thought I fixed it w/ rocker pushrods, but I fired it up, and it showed 3 PSI, so i quickly shut it down ( might have ran for 5 seconds )

If it is a white nylon ring about an inch across, it is for the oil pan plug. And I can assure you that it will leak. Get a rubber one if you think it is neccessary or just snug it up without stripping it.

Make sure you have installed the screen to oil pump gasket properly, otherwese you will be sucking air and get little pressure.

aah. I never got an oil pump screen gasket b4, so I never installed. probably sucking air there. replacing oil pump anyway. only opening it up just this last time, so I'm replacing everything that could be wrong, except bearings.

matt1967":29c0v35d said:
thought I fixed it w/ rocker pushrods,
That has nothing to do with oil PSI.
Oil pump
pick up screen
gaskets for above
&
bearings
Oh and the oil pump drive shaft not spinning properly..
Tim

ok. is there supposto be a gasket 4 the oil pump- block surface? I do not have/ did not get 1, ither time.

matt1967":345et1f3 said:
ok. is there supposto be a gasket 4 the oil pump- block surface? I do not have/ did not get 1, ither time.

The factory manual says yes. I didn't have on either, and suspect it is my problem. I had made one from a beer carton, but I guess it must have blown out or dissolved to mush because there isn't a trace of it now.

will a cork gasket work? I can cut 1 out of cork. with my new oil pan gasket, they shipped it with an extra peice of cork that is not needed. sticks the 2 gasket sides togther.

Back