what engine is it?

joshyx

Ok, I just pulled my engine out of my mav(casting code C5DE) and only found 3 freeze plugs. I was under the impression that all 200's had 5...Is this possibly an early 200 or what...My dad and I were puzzled when all we saw was 3 freeze plugs...Could this possibly be a 170?

But according to falcon book the casting code on the block would refer to a 200...The plugs on the 170/200 seem to be the same size as the plugs on my 78 250...I remember seeing a 144/170 (not sure what it was) with 3 freeze plugs also, but they were a lot bigger than the ones on my engine...I don't know, i'm a bit puzzled right now lol...Oh yeah, this car also has a DS1 dizzy in it(was there when i bought the car) and I was under the impression that these don't fit into the 144/170's

they will fit if you make them fit ( size the distributor down, or increase distributor hole size ).

pull the oil pan, and count the mains. 7= 200 4= 170. in '65 200's were now 7 main, but the 170's were still 4 main. they got 7 mains in 1966.

My bet is it's a 170, mod'd to fit the DS1 distributor.

yeah, it's intersting how the 170's skipped over the C5DE everything i've read says it's a four main with three frost plugs.

it still could be a four main 200 .

Ford has done some wierd things. so, you never know...drop the oil pan, then you'll know how many mains :idea: :LOL:

Howdy All:

Hey, It's a FoMoCo!!!! NEVER say Always or Never!!! No matter what there is always an exception.

Pull a few spark plugs and crank the engine so the pistons are up in the bores and take a flashlight to peak inside. Dished- likely an early 200. Flat-top- likely a 170.

A 170 with a C5 casting block is a fairly rare thing.

A C5 block should be able to accomodate a late DS II distributor without modification.

Enjoy the journey.

Adios, David

Pulled a plug out today and the engine has flat top pistons...So i guess that makes it a 170 with a C5 casting code....Good thing I didn't try and build this engine...

Drop the oil pan and count the mains. It could be a 170 with 7 mains. If that's the case, you have a rare engine.

joshyx

I have 2 mavs with 170's so I'd be interested in weather you have 4 or 7 main bearings.

69.5mav

Yep, Fords empty box allows for two engines in the same year car to be any type. Over here in Australasia, a 1982 F 150 351 could be a 351M, 351C, or 351W depending. In America, an 81 Ford compact could be a high or low mount 200, or a 1965 Mustang four or seven bearing 170.

They added seven main bearings and extra freeze plugs after October 1965 on everything. Early 200's were four main bearings till 1965. The Aussie 170 and 200 changed to seven main bearings from then as well.

The 1969 Maverick had seven bearings, according to my consumer guide, the definative bible for Fords from 1903 to 1983. I suspect it had five freeze plugs, just like my 1966 Falcon engine.

Enjoy the journey, its lotsa fun with Fords!

joshyx,

Did you ever determine which engine you have?

How many mains does it have?

Just curious.

Hopefully i'll have time to drop the pan on it this weekend and check...I'm still trying to finish up the swap of my 250 into my maverick...I'll post up once i find out...my dad and I are really curious too :)

Back