Best spark plugs to use?

I use Bosch...platinum...dunno why...they work and handle the larger spark and gap...

I gotta get home before I know which model...cuz the wife doesnt know where the plugs are on the car...

But she does know where the mirror is!

Gene,
Accel-348 is the least expensive.

Champion RF14YC is also a great plug.

Autolite AP-46, which is is a single platinium plug, double plats are APP-46,

The plug i like is NGK IRIDIUM IX WR51X stock #7510.

The NGK plug is the latest in technology, it has a pin center electrode which requires less voltage to fire & the center electrode is iridium which will last 100,000 miles in a engine in good shape.

Your choice, let your pocketbook be your guide. William

What about the Bosch Platinum+2's?

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Products/ ... tinum2.htm
Plat2_540.jpg

I don't trust those gimmick plugs, seems like a waste of money to me. I can get behind the iridium plugs because of the advantages of iridium vs. platinum. 2, 3, or 4 electrodes is kind of silly, esp. including the premium price.

Pinhead":2rt2jmt4 said:
What about the Bosch Platinum+2's?

I'll agree with Wallaka- gimmicky. I had the +4s in my 88's 5.0. If you want plugs for perfomance, I didnt notice any out of them. Also tried splitfires in the 68- no change either. I just stick with the good ol autolites. When you have 6 or 8 plugs to have to buy at a time, those plugs ranged $3 to $6 really add up!

Myself,I would never use Champions(R) again.Only Autolite(R) or Motorcraft(R).
Reason?In the last 20 years,I have tried Champion(R) plugs at least once a year.Results:Shortest service life on avarage1000 to 1100miles.
Max service has only been 3000 to 3200 miles.
The last set I had burned up so quickly,that the truck shut down driving up the road.
Champs are a waste of time and money.
Leo

Sub question.... Can anyone recommend a max gap for a pertronix ignightor II w/ Flame Thrower II Coil? I have been told around .050 but I wanted to verify. Thanks

stiennen":15cms3rc said:
Sub question.... Can anyone recommend a max gap for a pertronix ignightor II w/ Flame Thrower II Coil? I have been told around .050 but I wanted to verify. Thanks

I would guess between .045 and .050

All

Back in the late 60s and early 70s I bought a spark plug from JC Whitnies called a Fire injector.

This plug had 6 ground electrodes with only a .05 inch gap between them so it looked like a solid circle of ground electrod surrounding the central electrode.

The plugs lasted a long time, fact is I never had to replace them.

But here is the kicker. They never fouled out even though that 61 chevy 6 I put them in had ever ring cracked with most of the number one top ring missing.

I was burning a quart every 50 miles but never had an oil fouled plug.

At the time I didn't realize how lucky I was.

I tried to look up several vehicles that use the 200/250 I6... Halos aren't available for us yet.

in my dads truck i used E3s. didnt really have a reason to, just thought they might work better. they lasted about 3 times as long, but cost about 3 times as much(IIRC)
in my truck i use what ever is on sale that day

All you have to do is side gap your plugs to get the same effect as the "E3" or "halo" plugs. It's a very old trick, used in aircraft engines for years.

69.5Mav":61dc02mb said:
All

Back in the late 60s and early 70s I bought a spark plug from JC Whitnies called a Fire injector.

This plug had 6 ground electrodes with only a .05 inch gap between them so it looked like a solid circle of ground electrod surrounding the central electrode.

The plugs lasted a long time, fact is I never had to replace them.

But here is the kicker. They never fouled out even though that 61 chevy 6 I put them in had ever ring cracked with most of the number one top ring missing.

I was burning a quart every 50 miles but never had an oil fouled plug.

At the time I didn't realize how lucky I was.

My Dad bought these as well, for his '78 Chevy van. He went crazy for them and bought up a bunch for some other cars and now complains he can't get them any longer. They really did work terrific.

He still has that same van! :D

Back