200 i6 to 5.0 engine

A

Anonymous

Hey Guys,
I have a chance to get a wrecked 5.0 mustang cheap and put the engine in my 65 Mustang with 200 I6. :oops: I love my 200, I have weber 2bbl carb with header and it runs pretty good now. How much work would I have to do to convert it to a V-8? Has anybody put in a V-6 engine in their cars? I know everybody converts sixes to eights now and that is pretty much the norm but I can get the engine cheap. I want to do something different now. Thanks.

"Something different"? Swapping a I6 for a V8 is definately NOT different!
Leaving the six in there is different.

A V8 swap has been done way to many times to count.
The main issue is the suspension will have to be upgraded.

By the time you're done with it the V8 swap will cost more than A Classic Inlines aluminum head and a total rebuild for the I6!
And you'll be faster!
Will

Thanks,

Yea, I will keep my Six in my Stang. I would like to get the alulumin head though. I will keep saving for that. Thanks. :D

the frame mounts and transmission bell housing would need to be changed out too

did you plan on keeping the EFI setup or go with a carb cause thats a whole diffrent can of worms

if you really want to be diffrent 6 is definatly the way to go

It wouldn't be that hard, conceptually, although it might take a lot of work. Everything you need is available on the open market (mustangs plus has much of it.) and there is plenty of experience to tap into. Personally, I love fuel injection, and having an FI v-8 with a 5-speed would be fun, fun, fun.

If you want to be different find a late fox body with a six in it.Build it up and wax those with v-8s' 8)

I'll give this a whirl just for the academics of it.All prices are a guestimate from memory, market value may fluctuate depending on the weather, salesperson, and shipping.

TCP motor/frame mounts from a vendor (Mustang Plus for example) $199
Disk Brake (knuckles, backing plates, rotors, calipers all new ) $460 (IIRC)
Universal throttle pedal (price varies, you may be able to use the whole thing out of the 'donor') Free-$200
New radiator $200
Fuel line, radiator and heater hoses ($70)
Steering, FalconFanatic just did this, how much did it run you? Or something like a unisteer ($875)
Rearend (price depends on how much you want to spend/scrounge) but I'd guess anywhere from $100-$500
driveline changes (new/shorten/new u-joints) $100 minimum.
New tires and wheels (market value, whatever that means). Figure cheapest ones are $40/rim and $40/tire so $80 each corner = $320. Unless you get lucky and can reuse your tires then only $160 for rims plus $20/tire for mounting and balancing so.. $240.

Depending on your transmission you may be able to keep using it, but if it's a 2.77 or i6 automatic you should consider upgrading. If you have an auto and so does the donor you should be set

It's still doable, even doable in steps if you 'babied it' but nobody would ever recommend that you put a bent8 into a car with i6 spindles and the 4 lug rear. Even a little playing and you'd stress and break those parts, I don't think anybody here or from a shop wants you to die enough to say that it would be OK..

Everything I listed comes to $2424 (I assumed cheap rearend and re-using the 4-lug brakes components with 5 lug drums), and yes you could do the steering for less but I didn't include any bellhousings to convert your current setup or new hardlines if you have an automatic or clutch parts if you have a manual, or even exhaust work..

Sound like its cheap still?

On the flip side, I put a 302/C4 into my '67 Mustang for a lot less, Dad bought bent8 frame mounts for $35 at an auction and the '73 Torino 302/C4 got new headgaskets ($150 for car and headgaskets). The brakes and rearend came from a parts mustang that Dad picked up for $100, I worked at a parts store and rebuilt everything including turning drums (free at the time) for under $70, '1967 used the same steering components including knuckles for both i6 and bent8. The driveline was given to me by an old shop foreman (free) out of a '69 Mustang, it worked perfect, no mods needed. Same with the shift rod because my '67 was bought with no motor/trans/linkage/driveline. I also used the y-pipe from the '73 Torino to make a single side exit exhaust (never finished but would have cost about $70). I made new trans cooler lines out of generic stock 3/8" lines then short stretch of rubber to connect it to a radiator I found in Dad's barn ($20) Radiator hoses ($30), I looped the heater hose back to the motor. Throttle linkage out of the parts car. So I did it for $475.

I'm not saying it can't be done for a resonable price, mostly your end goal, starting point, budget, storage options, and patience all play factor in how much it cost. I sold that motor and the transmission went somewhere else, I never drove it bent. That car was originally a 200/C4 and it will have a 250 as it's next motor.

-ron

coupeboy

I think you are low on a couple things and guess it would cost about $3000 if you did all the work yourself. For that investment he could build a nice strong 6 and have something different.

Jim in MO

jim reese":3n112ios said:
coupeboy

I think you are low on a couple things and guess it would cost about $3000 if you did all the work yourself. For that investment he could build a nice strong 6 and have something different.

Jim in MO

I know I shouldn't even jump into the middle of this, but...

For $3000, you will not have a sweet six. For just the CI head and MSD dist you are at $2000. That leaves you only $1000 for the entire rest of the build. In my research it takes $5000 for a solid hp six.

If you want a V8, swap in a V8.

A friend of mine put an EFI 5.0 in a 66. It was a cool car. Nothing wrong with that.

Most of us who are here doing the 6 stuff have been there, done that - and are looking for something different. It all just depends on what you want.

Bort62":px9jexw8 said:
If you want a V8, swap in a V8.

A friend of mine put an EFI 5.0 in a 66. It was a cool car. Nothing wrong with that.

Most of us who are here doing the 6 stuff have been there, done that - and are looking for something different. It all just depends on what you want.

That is exactly it, perfectly put Bort.

I should also mention I have the 200 from his '66 in my ranchero. (bought the rebuilt shortblock w/ 50 miles on it for 50 bucks!)

If you pull your six, someone else on this site will benefit from it, so we can't really complain.

My prices were guestimations as stated in the first sentance for new stuff. I rarely deal in that brand. For my own pricing I could have done it cheaper and used the (free) '79 t-bird as a motor/trans donor. And I do my own work, if I had to pay for it, I'd be hosed....

Honestly I don't care what y'all do with your cars. I'm not going to put down or bash you for 'trading sides'. Heck, if you can get a GM 216 into a Ford Ranger I'll take a look just out of (morbid) curiosity.

Speaking of which, I noticed the other day that OHChicken is putting a 4.2vortech into his firebird, I wonder if he has any pics?

-ron

Ron

Sorry about not meeting up with you this summer. I still have that 250 from a 69 Mustang taking up space in my garage. Are you still interested. It has the head removed & disassembled, but I won't be using the "M" head because the chambers are way too big for either my 170 or 200. I have the original carb for it also. I just can't seem to get around to getting anything done to the Falcon anymore. I guess when it isn't broke, I don't get around to fixing it.

Steve

LaGrasta":2m2rmorz said:
jim reese":2m2rmorz said:
coupeboy

Jim in MO

For $3000, you will not have a sweet six. For just the CI head and MSD dist you are at $2000. That leaves you only $1000 for the entire rest of the build. In my research it takes $5000 for a solid hp six.

Well, my Turbo motor only cost me $4,000, may not have an alloy head, but it's got the dual roller timing chain and yella terra full roller rockers so
it's still a sweet 6cyl. $2,500 in the block itself, the rest is ignition/ fuel and turbo stuff

CoupeBoy":39yknj4i said:
My prices were guestimations as stated in the first sentance for new stuff. I rarely deal in that brand. For my own pricing I could have done it cheaper and used the (free) '79 t-bird as a motor/trans donor. And I do my own work, if I had to pay for it, I'd be hosed....

Honestly I don't care what y'all do with your cars. I'm not going to put down or bash you for 'trading sides'. Heck, if you can get a GM 216 into a Ford Ranger I'll take a look just out of (morbid) curiosity.

Speaking of which, I noticed the other day that OHChicken is putting a 4.2vortech into his firebird, I wonder if he has any pics?

-ron

If sombody puts a 216 6cyl in a Ford Ranger, there an idiot.:LOL: babbited bearings ect... it'll cost $3k for a complete rebuild on a stock motor, if you can get all the tools and someone to repour the main bearings.. Now, a '53 up 235 or 261
that would be cool, looks the same as 216.

LaGrasta":d3c26b5g said:
jim reese":d3c26b5g said:
coupeboy

Jim in MO

I think if you stay on a budget you could get a pretty cool 6 for less than that. Depending on your fabrication skills you could get something put together thats fairly reliable. Take my build for an example. I have less than 2k in my new turbo setup. I Also did all the work myself which helps a TON.

Whether six or eight, you're nearly all falling into the mindset of "buying stuff and bolting it on".

This website primarily took off when it was a practice to modify sixes with a decent quota of DIY. Now there is a creeping (unspoken, but inferred) opinion that all except CHI/DUI/ARP etc is second rate...

Supply quantity will ensure that V-8 stuff remains cheaper forever. That's just the way it is. If one embraces the original idea of hotrodding, and is willing to get their hands a bit greasy, there are plenty of fun and affordable options in both camps.

Cheers, Adam.

great answer, i love it :D

addo":286yr5fh said:
Whether six or eight, you're nearly all falling into the mindset of "buying stuff and bolting it on".

This website primarily took off when it was a practice to modify sixes with a decent quota of DIY. Now there is a creeping (unspoken, but inferred) opinion that all except CHI/DUI/ARP etc is second rate...

Supply quantity will ensure that V-8 stuff remains cheaper forever. That's just the way it is. If one embraces the original idea of hotrodding, and is willing to get their hands a bit greasy, there are plenty of fun and affordable options in both camps.

Cheers, Adam.

Bort62":1b7asqt2 said:
I should also mention I have the 200 from his '66 in my ranchero. (bought the rebuilt shortblock w/ 50 miles on it for 50 bucks!)

If you pull your six, someone else on this site will benefit from it, so we can't really complain.

That reminds me..... If you do pull the trigger on the swap shoot me a dollar figure on the weber 2bbl and the headers. Dont mean to be a vulture but if you are going to flip might as well help out a six popper. ;)

Back