engine weight?

Kstang

Ok what is the weight of a 200 engine out of a 67 mustang? I am not sure if it has carb and what not. But say out of the car assembled weight? Could two or 3 grown men pick one up with out a hoist say off the ground into a truck? I have found a good deal on a engine, and if it looks ok I might pick it up as a spare but I don't have a hoist :(

Any suggestions? I was thinking if i took the head off it might be a little easier to move around? It has the tansmission on it but i plan on taking that off any way(no need for it).

Kevin

It's something like 385 lbs fully dressed. I know that me and my dad easily lifted a complete short block into a truck. The head is about 80 lbs separate, easily lifted by one person.

We just did it. We did roll it out there on an engine stand. We pulled the handle out and just pulled the engine off while still bolted to the turning part of the stand, so we only had to lift it up about a foot.

I usually set my motors on an old tire with out a rim in it. It keeps it from sliding around and crushing parts, also if you pull the head becarefull not to damage the machined area on the block and bottom of the head unless your planning to mill it anyways.

The lifters might need fully funtional arms, steel toed boots, and gloves/good hand holds.

Do drain the coolant and oil, remove the head and exhaust manifold. Mount some chain hand holds. The old unmounted tire for a protective bed is a great recommendation.

But backs are expensive and painful to fix. They go out without warning, at any age.

So, keeping in mind that this could get ugly very quickly:

for $50 bucks rent an engine hoist, or for $125 buy one. You will need one eventually anyway. Costs less than one doctor's visit and you can leave the engine buttoned up.

Two guys can put one in the back of a truck easily.

I've done it by myself before but that took some cleverness.

I second Dave's recommendation.

Your back is no time to be cheap. I've done it with no problems, and once I threw my back out (at the age of 26) where I could get out of bed for 3-4 days without first heating my back up with a pad for 30 minutes. NO warning, just went out.

For $125, it's worth it, or $50 for a rental. If you have some friends, they may have one.

CobraSix":kf8fik8e said:

Your back is no time to be cheap. I've done it with no problems, and once I threw my back out (at the age of 26) where I could get out of bed for 3-4 days without first heating my back up with a pad for 30 minutes. NO warning, just went out.

For $125, it's worth it, or $50 for a rental. If you have some friends, they may have one.

Ahh crap I just turned 26...

:D Yep.When you`re young and dumb,you think that as the old song says"You think you`re 10 feet tall and bullet proof".NOT.
Leo

CobraSix":1gb2it8s said:

A hoist or a back? :LOL:

Well, if you can rent a back, that would be the cheap way! Do you have a neighbor you don't really like?

Co-worker you want to get ahead of?

I could spare a few coworkers if needed, that is if you could get anything out of them to begin with. :roll:

Back