good product or outdated ideas

Timnmelinda

Rhoads Lifters

In my younger days these were the ticket to help tame a cam/making it a bit more streetable, without giving anything up. It seems just about everyone was going for these in the 80's

So I was wondering any good in our sixes?

The theory that was behind these at least in advertisments sounded good, I have not heard mention of them much on this board.

So good idea or bad using them ?
Anyone have any real experience with them in small sixes, do they actually make a difference or was it all hype?

Tim

Someone on here was using them. He said he noticed a difference...

When he took them out. He isn't still using them - and I don't know why.

I like the idea but like most of that stuff if it was that good there would be more of them out there. Look at how much high tech complex stuff they put on new cars for less gain, if it was as easy as some trick lifters they would all be doing it.

They are basically high bleed-out rate lifters. They make for less lift/duration/overlap at low RPM's. I've never personally installed them, but we had an old Ford pickup with them in them and it seemed pretty torquey (how would you spell that??). I didn't know how it ran beforehand, though.

I like the idea and those lifters are a product I'd like to have an eye on. Would be nice to dyno a set against normal lifters and see what they are up to.

I'm actually running them right now. I have a 280 cam, I think about 226 at .050. I'm guessing it brings me down to about a 273 or so at idle. If you don't mind the click of solid lifters then these will do it for you. I personally like them, but they won't give you drastically better torque if that's what you're looking for with a hot cam. The best thing they do is keep your top end horsepower streetable.

In my last engine build I had about a 272 duration cam. To be honest it doesn't feel any different than that engine at low rpm, but now I have probably 15-20 more mph on the top, and I get about 22 mpg, where as I was getting around 19 with the last build.

In my car, when you start to cruise about 40 - 50 mph you can feel the lifters filling up. You don't move your foot, but the car keeps going faster and faster. If you could feel what it's like to go from Dr. Jackal to Mr. Hyde, that's probably what your engine is feeling.

That's my $0.02

Allan

If you have more specific questions, I would be glad to answer them.

Back