200 to 250 swap

65andonly18

My question is regarding the fan, on the tech page it said using an electric would work the best, can i still use my 200 fan it would be alot cheaper? Thanks.

Howdy Back:

FYI the 200 and 250 blocks are the same length. The difference is in the water pump/pulley system. Early 200s use the short pump/pulleys. Later 200/250s use the longer pump/pulley system.

Since the 250 first appeared in 1969, I don't know if a short shaft water pump is available for them. If so you will need the matching crank shaft pulley/damper.

The reccommend for an electric fan is only for clearance and convenience. it can be mounted either in front or in back of the radiator. There is also a slight performance advantage in that the electric fan only runs when needed for cooling.

Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy the journey.

Adios, David

Its going into a 65 mustang. The only reason i asked was on the tech page it said it could be done but electric would be much easier to go. And other quick question im new to the 250 so i keep reading that some 289 parts can be used on the engine is that true as well?

65andonly18":pjzi5rab said:
And other quick question im new to the 250 so i keep reading that some 289 parts can be used on the engine is that true as well?

Nope! Only the bellhousing (if it's a 6 bolt) and any V8 tranny will bolt up to the 250.

As for the fan you might be OK. It's a very tight fit because of the water pump.
You'll just have to try it and see.
Will

Back