Carburetor help.

65fomocofalcon

Try this. If you suspect your floading out disconnect the fuel line to the crab and plug it solidly (if you have one a fuel pressure gauge will satisfy two purposes at once). Start the car and see if it will run for a while. With no fuel pressure at the float/needle valve you won't overfill the carb, you will quickly empty the carb but it should run long enough to determin if the problem is in the fuel pressure/float/needle valve area.

Good luck and report back please

Check you needle and seat assembly. Sometimes the epoxy that holds the screw in metal fuel filter together will flake off internally and cause blockage of the small fuel opening on the needle and seat. What happens when this occurs is that the car will start but as the fuel pressure rises it can force the
material into the hole and shut off the flow of gas into the carburetor.

Most likely this not your problem but it's worth a look.

I have rebuilt many Holley 1940 carbs and two times ended up with WORSE performance. Both times were due to plugged fuel passages. So you might try to take the carb apart again and blow out the fuel passages/circuits. If you do not have compressed air you can blow a shot of air using a clean section of vacuum tubing and your mouth. One time I had a small chunk of debris that lodged in the fuel line in the 1 inch section between my fuel filter and my fuel inlet nipple on the carb. I rebuilt the carb 3 time before I figured that one out!
Good luck!

I ended up buying a California version for a 1967 falcon, I orderded a holley but got a Carter. The problem now is
1) I may have clearance issues
2) it has two vacuum ports
Does anyone know what the other vacuum ports are for?

Back