how similar are the Oz250s and the US250s?

Different bell pattern, different cam-crank spacing, different oil pan size, different crank snout/damper/crank sprocket/timing cover.

The Oz 250 incorporates all the "useful" variations required to make a larger version of the 200 block, based on lessons learnt in designing the 221. The US 250 is substantially a hurdle to performance builds because of timing set issues and overall dimensions.

Anyway, you've got a virgin bore Oz block and a bunch of bellhousings...

this is true, for some reason today i'm just full of worst case scenarios
last/first time i took a block in they told me it was useless unless i wanted it sleeved, so that's haunting me as well :unsure:

edit: still need the shipping costs

If you have a block that's good except for needing a sleeve, I'd say do it. I've used them on many engines.

A sleeve is a very acceptable way to repair a block and in many cases the sleeve material is better than the block material. My crossflow has a sleeve in one cylinder because we hit a casting void when boring it.

There is no easy way to use a US250 rotating assembly in an Oz 250, though. Between the bearings, rear main seal, journal width, crank snout, etc, they just can't be interchanged. Look at http://home.cfl.rr.com/mustangsix/Engine/crossflow.htm for some of the issues I encountered several years ago.

MustangSix":2u7s229o said:
There is no easy way to use a US250 rotating assembly in an Oz 250, though. Between the bearings, rear main seal, journal width, crank snout, etc, they just can't be interchanged. Look at http://home.cfl.rr.com/mustangsix/Engine/crossflow.htm for some of the issues I encountered several years ago.
i looked at that, but i wasn't sure if the crossflow 250 was the same as the 250-2V

i'll check it again in case i overlooked something

The blocks are different between crossflow and 2V, although the rotating assemblies are the same.

Why not get the Jaguar/RR expert friend for your Dad to look at it?

Doesn't the later 2V use a one piece rear main seal like the crossflow? Also, I think the 2V crank snout is different than the US250. Not sure on the bearings, but those two differences alone would make it "un-swappable".

addo":1laz9ot5 said:
The blocks are different between crossflow and 2V, although the rotating assemblies are the same.

Why not get the Jaguar/RR expert friend for your Dad to look at it?
don't say Jag/RR expert, say English/Italian exotic expert ;) , but i do plan on dragging it to his shop to tear it down, and having his favorite machine shop do the work
it is nice to have someone who knows all the good shops in the area

One piece rear main seals came in around '85-'87 (X or MarkZE will know).

Jack, I meant both Australian variants interchanged cranks/pistons/rods etc. Up to the point of metric flywheel bolts, anyhow. There is some difference with the thrust bearing - one is a half circle and the other a full thrust from memory - but not sure if that's a fatal discrepancy.

Evan, your motor from what I observed, had been "puttered" about. It showed no signs of having been beaten on long-term, or any old redneck fixes. Think it only had a re-ring. Pull the head and slather the bores in grease, anyhow. Then just tack it back together for the time being.

Back