Electric cooling fans

250coupe

i just got my new jegs parts book yesterday and was looking through the electric fan section and saw an electric fan thats suppose to recover 17hp, its a flex-a-lite syclone s blade fan, has anyone used this? i was going to put one in my 6-cyl maverick once i finish the street six i plan to build.

The only amount of Hp that is gained is what you would gain from not running your stock fan, is the amount of HP lossed by the drag the stock fan would have on the motor..
Tim

you wont get as much power as you think but the fan is very nice, i love mine and it keeps that puppy nice and cool

I fitted twin electric fans to my Falcon... A pita to install because of the cramped space BUT the whole thing is a lot quiter now (no fan roar!) AND I must have picked up a couple of HP... maybe. I did need a bigger alternator, though to feed the beasts.

250coupe":2nggegco said:
i just got my new jegs parts book yesterday and was looking through the electric fan section and saw an electric fan thats suppose to recover 17hp, its a flex-a-lite syclone s blade fan, has anyone used this? i was going to put one in my 6-cyl maverick once i finish the street six i plan to build.

Yeah, uh ...

The amount of HP you would gain is the amount being used to turn the fan at any given RPM.

Think about it this way. Do you really think it would take a 17 hp lawn tractor engine to spin that stock fan at 4,000 rpm? I don't. I figure even a little 3 hp engine would have an easy time spinning your stock fan up to 7,000 RPM or more if you drove it with a belt and a set of pulleys that would overdrive the fan. How about you?

:)

8) 17hp gain is rather misleading. it is based on old numbers, with old engines, using large fans with a coarse pitch, and direct drive. for our sixes you can figure an average gain of about 5hp at peak rpm.

With a stock 200 six which size/brand electric fan would be recommended with daily drivers status considered and easiest to install and what steps are needed to install it.

I just ordered a 16" fan from Jegs. OUr stock inline radiators are just about 16" square. Jegs accidentally sent my fan and harness to the wrong side of the country >_< but it will be here on Tuesday. I will let you folks know how install/operation goes.

This was the best fan for the price/size/cfm ratio.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... rm=400-398

This harness. I probably paid too much but I don't feel confident with electronics.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... =555-10560

And a cheap (temporary) mounting 'kit' for 5 bucks.

the temp controlled sensor like that is really what you want. you dont have the hassle of flipping it on and off everytime you come to a stop which is really the only time you need it. above 20-30 mph the outside air keeps your rad cool

I really couldn't feel any change on my car when I changed my fan to electric but it's nice when it comes to changing belts and doing other things on the front of the motor. It made things a lot easier.

The fan arrived today...

I realized that when I ordered the fan I didn't plan it out properly. I noticed that the thickness of the fan was listed as 4.5" I figured that I would have plenty of room on the back of the radiator once i removed the stock fan and fan spacer. This was not the case. With fan and spacer removed, I had 2-2.5"! I was really let down. I figured I could somehow move the radiator forward? Nope, not without serious reconstructive surgery to the front of the Mustang.

So what I ended up doing was using the option to have the fan be a pusher(mounted on the front of the radiator. But there still wasn't room in front of the radiator. What I did was remount the radiator about 2" back via some spacers and longer bolts and modified coolant hosing.

I didn't get everything back together, I decided to replace the thermostat housing (will arrive tomorrow morning)

I have mine set up as a pusher as well. When you're through installing it, you'll be happy with it's performance.

FYI one of the muscle mags did a dyno test on this very subject of HP with an electric fan. It was @ 2 years ago, but the difference from best (electric) to worst (?) was @ 17 HP. They went through clutch, flex, stock, etc. Our little four blades don't put up much resistance.

If those numbers held an absolute that would ba a 10% power gain for us. Surely our butt dyno's would register that!

On the subject of electric fans, I have a question. Yesterday I pulled off a 14" pusher fan from the junkyard. Eventually I will probabaly install a thermostat, but for right now I was thinking of hooking it up to a spare set of wires & on/off switch that use to go to some fog lights! If I make sure I have an in-line fuse to the fan, do you see any problems with this hook-up??? Thanks, Jim

James and anyone else,

Just make sure everything is up to the current draw from the fan motor.

Undersize wires will act like fuses and melt if you don't have it right.

My setup runs with a relay taking power from the batt term on the solenoid using 12 gauge wire. I installed an inline fuseholder between the relay and the fan motor. It is setup to run from a t-stat and a switch.

james singleton":40u76eui said:
On the subject of electric fans, I have a question. Yesterday I pulled off a 14" pusher fan from the junkyard. Eventually I will probabaly install a thermostat, but for right now I was thinking of hooking it up to a spare set of wires & on/off switch that use to go to some fog lights! If I make sure I have an in-line fuse to the fan, do you see any problems with this hook-up??? Thanks, Jim

That should work fine, providing the switch and wire can handle the current, and stated above.

When I used to have a fan in my car, I ran it off a manual switch in the cab. I did use a relay, however.

Yea, I would use a relay.

I got the fan installed. Kind of a pain, but alright. I had to move the radiator back, cut the rad. hoses, alter the transmission coolant lines, make a few trips to the hardware store.

It seems to cool well. The engine does seem a bit more responsive (without the fan) in park. When driving, though, it feels the same.

I mounted it with the supplied "mounting kit" but the thing seems fragile as heck.

Back