Swap out a 289 for an I6

Straight Six

"Swap out a 289 for an I6"--if there is a thread dealing with swaping out a v8(any size 289 and up) for an I6 please point in the right direction----Im seeing alot of mustangs out there(67 coupe) that are the color,features id like but hardly are there any straight sixes.I was contempalting if I found a decent car(having most everything done to it i like already) for the right price--what steps would I need to take to do this.
By the way either Id sell the v-8 outright or possible trade it for a professionally rebuilt 6-whichever would allow me to get the ,most done to the stang Id be getting. Thanks for any help.

you probably wont find too many v8 to I6 swap threads and step by steps but im sure across the internet there are dozens of great articles about how to swap an I6 for a v8

all you'll have to do is go in reverse :LOL:

Mustang Monthly or Mustang and Fords had a picture article about a fellow who pulled the eight out of a Mustang and put in an I6. It was a couple years ago. There was no tech stuff. The hook was how unusual the idea is.

I can't see it being a big deal. Both plants bolt right in with the correct motor mounts. You would have to do a engine/tranny swap unless you went with a 250 that has the same bolt pattern on the bell housing of the eight.

Interesting ill see what I can find on MM /MF site but if any happens to see that article or something simialr please shoot it my way.Thanks and Ill keep the 250 option in mind too.

I'm sure if you ask there are several people on this site that could probably sell the parts you'll need I'm not sure what all changes but I'm pretty sure you'll need motor mounts and a few crossmember pieces, but like I said I don't know most of my motor swap know how is with trucks.

Swap a V8 to a 6?

Love it, Love it, Love it!!!

Cross post this over to the Muscle Car V8 furums.
I need to see their responses.

You will need to change the engine mounts, radiator, tranny and possible mount setup, possible driveline and/or yoke mods. This swap will also you to keep the 5 bolt pattern which does have some benefits.

don

I don't know but I can guess what they'd say it'd be something like this= %#@%^&% inline six%&*$#5 v8 ^%^&*%$ :eek:

kukm66":35otorvo said:
Swap a V8 to a 6?

You will need to change the engine mounts, radiator, tranny and possible mount setup, possible driveline and/or yoke mods. This swap will also you to keep the 5 bolt pattern which does have some benefits.

don

Just out of curiousity why would the radiator need to be changed 0--the other things you mentioned make sense-sorry Im not as good mechanically as id like to be.

"I don't know but I can guess what they'd say it'd be something like this= %#@%^&% inline six%&*$#5 v8 ^%^&*%$ "----yeah thats about the least of what theyd say----however Ill wait to do it in person:):):) at my first car show--lol Ill make a sign that says " I could have had a V-8 but Id rather have an I-6"

Depending on what transmission you got with your v8, you might not have to scrap the tranny. If it's a model with a detachable bell, you might be able to swap out the bellhousing and a few other parts, and adapt it to a six. My c4 was originally behind an 8.

If nothing else, starting with an 8 means you'd have the beefier steering, which seems to be a common upgrade for the i6 guys.

Straight Six":279i6a28 said:
kukm66":279i6a28 said:
Swap a V8 to a 6?

don

Just out of curiousity why would the radiator need to be changed 0--the other things you mentioned make sense-sorry Im not as good mechanically as id like to be.

The hoses on an I6 radiator go on opposite sides (top hose on the right, lower on the left), while on a V8 they are on the same (right?) side.

wallaka":e6kni11k said:
Straight Six":e6kni11k said:
kukm66":e6kni11k said:
Swap a V8 to a 6?

don

The hoses on an I6 radiator go on opposite sides (top hose on the right, lower on the left), while on a V8 they are on the same (right?) side.
Ya know the funny thing was in answering that I was straining to look at the pics of my 302 in the 69- and I have it parked about 15 feet away in the garage :roll: And yes, you are correct- V-8 has the lower hose on the same side.
Coincidentally, since this 302 is frozen at the moment, I been contemplating everything else from a 428 (yeah good luck with that) to a 250 or even 300. I know a 300's been stuffed into a 68, but wondered how much more clearance it would have in a 69 bay.

Back