cherrybomb Glasspacks

65fall

alright so im going to go with glasspack on my stang its a 200 no header as of now need to sake up. i went looking around at at kragen and i noticed theres a lot of different lenghts, i wanted to know what is a good size i would like to be loud coming down the street and to also annoy my uptight neighbers :eek: but i dont want to become deaf or make my own ears bleed :x . i assume that the longer the glasspack the louder it will be. if you guys can tell me what size you have or had and how you liked or dislike it

Longer ones ought to be quieter. There is more facility in them for damping the noise.

Why not fit some nice quiet free-flowing mufflers, and an exhaust cutout? Then you get the best of both!

I had two cherry bomb glasspacks, and it was very loud. Actually, it was very annoying too. You could hear my car from at least a block away.
Get some turbo mufflers or higher quality glasspacks, and just rev' the engine instead.

I running a 22" generic noname glasspack, single 2 1/4" all the way out the back. It's loud and I get a droning noise that ain't so bad now that I got the interior back together. Thinking of getting one more short cherrybomb behind the rear axle to see what that sounds like.

i have one cherry bomb in which i plan on installing if the motor is salvageable its still getting hot and im starting to suspect internal damage from being ran hot too much.the previous owner ran it with a leaky water pump its also blown 3 freeze plugs and now a 4th is leaking anyway i digress i like the cherry bomb ran one in my javelin sounded good of course that was a 304 but it should sound alright on a I-6.

:( If you have already lose 3 freeze plugs,you should give the block a GOOD external check along the center line of the freeze plugs for block cracks.
The 300 6 that I just replaced had a crack running from the front of the block all he way to the back right along the center line of the freeze plug holes.
Leo

addo":3j3elrty said:
Longer ones ought to be quieter. There is more facility in them for damping the noise.

Why not fit some nice quiet free-flowing mufflers, and an exhaust cutout? Then you get the best of both!

Addo thats a good advice that i might take that route. my friend had cutouts on his mustang but it was a 5.0 89 foxbody. it was so freaken loud sounded like a Helicopter. but i never heard an i6 with cutouts i have no idea how it will sound

I heard one with open exhaust (mine) and it sounded great. Just way, way too loud.

I have a single turbo-type muffler on there now, and it sounds good. Better than the glasspack I had on there. A nice rumble at idle, and no drone at cruise. It is quieter overall.

woodbutcher":3l77w37o said:
:( If you have already lose 3 freeze plugs,you should give the block a GOOD external check along the center line of the freeze plugs for block cracks.
The 300 6 that I just replaced had a crack running from the front of the block all he way to the back right along the center line of the freeze plug holes.
Leo

alright i'll keep that in mind once i get settled into the house i'm going to pull the motor and break it down and see just what i have to work with thnaks for the info.

wallaka":1uhtxggk said:
I heard one with open exhaust (mine) and it sounded great. Just way, way too loud.

I have a single turbo-type muffler on there now, and it sounds good. Better than the glasspack I had on there. A nice rumble at idle, and no drone at cruise. It is quieter overall.

Wallaka what kind of setup did you have. i.e ...did you hve headers or manifold ....locataion of cutout and what type of muffler.

65fall":11l7efzi said:
alright so im going to go with glasspack on my stang its a 200 no header as of now need to sake up. i went looking around at at kragen and i noticed theres a lot of different lenghts, i wanted to know what is a good size i would like to be loud coming down the street and to also annoy my uptight neighbers :eek: but i dont want to become deaf or make my own ears bleed :x . i assume that the longer the glasspack the louder it will be. if you guys can tell me what size you have or had and how you liked or dislike it

I have 32" glasspack and it sounds great. It gives a good all round tone with the bobble when you let off. They are not loud listening from the inside but everyone can hear them on the outside. I have been running the same muffler for 5 years now and the sound has gotten louder on the outside but on the inside of the car it still has that good low tone. Run the muffle as far back to the rear of the car as you can when installing it. I also have the same mufflers on my Ford 150 SuperCrew 5.4 and they sound great. Only difference is when I am pulling my car hauler you can hear me coming two counties over. I wouldn't run anything but the longer glasspacks personally. The shorter you get the more it sounds like your running straight pipes which is way to lound inside and outside the car. Just my 2 Cents....

I have a Thrush glasspack on my 200 CI Mustang, with a stock manifold and im telling you deal with the stock muffler until you can afford dual outlet headers and a full dual exhaust. mine sounds just like a tuner. i did cut off the muffler at first and ran straight pipes but, it sounded like a tractor when, you speed up that sounded better than the glasspacks though

65fall":y2al8glq said:
wallaka":y2al8glq said:

Wallaka what kind of setup did you have. i.e ...did you hve headers or manifold ....locataion of cutout and what type of muffler.

It was the stock manifold. About 24" of 2.25" straight pipe was left on there after the pothole ripped the rest of the exhaust off.

Honestly, it was so loud that I couldn't drive the car. It was physically painful, even with earplugs in.

You won't be disappointed with the turbo muffler, I promise. I got the whole single exhaust setup put on with muffler included for $75. Prices may vary, of course.

whos that guy with the blue 68 mustang from bakersfield?? I remember hearng his car and it sounded with those video clips he had of his car driving on the road. what did he use? Does he still have those video clips so maybe he can show off??

I have one of those Flowtech Purple Hornies slip-fit glasspacks on my '83 Fairmont. Sounds fine. Not too loud, but I don't like loud anyway. (music, yes.. from my cars, no) Sometimes I think I can hear the exhaust manifold leak over the muffler. Noticeable droning when in gear idling at a light, but that's only inside the car. Just putting it in neutral makes it go away.

Dimensions are on Summit's website. I have (I think) the only slip-fit one.. the rest have 3-bolt header flanges.

havoline":1wzvpi7n said:
whos that guy with the blue 68 mustang from bakersfield?? I remember hearng his car and it sounded with those video clips he had of his car driving on the road. what did he use? Does he still have those video clips so maybe he can show off??

That's Mustangaroo(Ben), I'm sure the vids are still on his site.

Back