Installing the 200 and C4

SteveStang

Hi
What is the easiest way to install these?I am ready to put in and was wonderingif I install 1 at a time or bolt together first and drop them in as 1 piece?
If I go as them both together,will some of the tranny oil leak out of the converter at the driveshaft end?
Thanks in advance

SteveStang

It really depends on what your working with, working on, and if you have any help. If you have a good engine hoist and a good flat smooth surface like a concrete drive way it would be easier to stick it all in at once. In almost all cases I install the motor and tranny together. That way I can make sure everything is together with out having to crawl around on the ground and wrestle with a heavy transmission. I always install and remove motors and tranny's by myself and it just seems easier to me.

Some fluid will leak out of the transmission. I just put a few heavy plastic bags on the tailshaft and wrap a few rubber bands around it. As long as you dont get to rough with it you want lose to much fluid.

i'd plug up the end of the tranny and do them both together. unless you have a lift in your garage with a trans jack

since I was solo I did it seperately. bolting up the trans is a snap on these sixes. if you do them together make sure your lift will be able to get high enough to clear the radiator support.

grocery getter":3ey3el0t said:
since I was solo I did it seperately. bolting up the trans is a snap on these sixes. if you do them together make sure your lift will be able to get high enough to clear the radiator support.

And remember that once the weight of the motor is removed the front of the car will lift :LOL: When we took the 200/C4 out of my Falcon we had to tilt it almost vertical to get it out of the bay because the front end of the car raised up about a foot. :LOL:

The combo will end up at a steep angle to swing in so you need to have clearance so the valve cover does not hit the hoist and one of those equalizer bars to easily shift and angle everything. Also need ceiling clearance (which I did not have in the garage so I hooked it tight which caused other problems). This pic is how not to do it but does show the angle needed.
P1010012.jpg

I did the two together with a nice, big, rental hoist outdoors. I jacket the front of the car up and put the wheels on 8x12 wood blocks to get the angle.

Back