Holley 5200

SteveStang

I have not put this carb on yet but with the carb manifold stock adapter and the adapter on my Holley 5200,and the K&N filter,it almost looks like I am going to sit too high for the hood to close.Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?

Thanks
SteveStang

I had this problem too, I used the stovebolt adapter, created a .dxf file of the approximate H/W flange (not perfect but close) cut this out of plastic on a CNC machine, used an Edelbrock aircleaner(p/n 10002 IIRC) the triangle type that was popular for a while. cut the base flange(where it would seal to a 4bbl carb, gained .50 by doing this) off. then I epoxied the plastic H/W flange to the bottom of the aircleaner and bolted it down... have to make sure that the air cleaner is pointed the correct direction before epoxying it down...

I wish I had a digital camera... would show you pictures....

I now have about 1/4" clearance between the hood and the top of the air cleaner... If you e-mail me, I can send the DXF file if you have a way to use it...

Good luck...

Ben

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...item=180231021327&_trksid=p3984.cWON.m313.lVI
1802310213278080_1.jpg
EMPIAirCleaner.jpg

I will try and take some pics tomorrow of it and post.The top part mounts to the full bottom of the carb as a rectangle and then drops to about a 1.5" throat and the part that mounts to the manifold adapter is shaped like a diamond with a mounting hole in each corner.
Just trying to describe but I wil take pics.

SteveStang

This seems like the way to go.I see that your linkage is on the side and not to the back as I have seen most for cable setup.Have you had any problems running rich and lean when turning corners?
Thanks for the info though,I think I will go this way.Also,it looks like you used your old throttle linkage and did not go to cable.Any problem doing that?

SteveStang

I didn't take any pics of the adapter in the building process. I used the base adapter to manifold log gasket for hole location and marked the bottom of the lower half. I used the base gasket from th HW 5200 for hole location on the top of the upper half. I drilled the carb bolt holes through both pieces tapping threads in the lower half. I drilled the manifold bolt holes through the lower half only and counter sunk them for allen head bolts. Then I bolted the two halves together and drilled a pilot hole from the center of the manifold hole on the bottom to the center fo each venturi hole on the top. This part was tricky and took some time. Using the pilot holes I bored out the adapter with a hole saw in a high speed drill press. The drill press had a tiltable table so I could get the angle right.
As far as driveability goes I haven't noticed anything during long turns like onramps or hard lefts. If it does go rich or lean I don't notice nor do I care. I'm driving mostly in straight lines. I have the fuel bowl over the valve cover and can remove the VC without touching the carb. The OE linkage needs a bend to shorten it up and give a better working angle.
The carb came off a 2.0 engine in a early pinto and has the smaller venturis 26/27. I'm more economy minded then all out performance on this toy. It does lean out when I work it hard but I think its the old reused electric fuel pump I 'm running. I'm hoping that is cured when I replace the leaky mechanical pump that is presently bypassed.

Back