Oil Slinger rubs timing chain!

60s Refugee

In another thread I mentioned how I had installed the timing chain cover and crank pulley only to find the oil slinger laying on the bench as I was cleaning up. Today I removed the cover and pulley to install the oil slinger. I slid on the slinger to check fit and noticed that it rubbed the chain! The double roller chain is just enough wider that the slinger rubs it.

So, here's what I did... I layed the slinger on a flat surface and saw that the hub part of it is on the same plane as the outer edge of the slinger. I took a 1 quart paint can with the lid still on and found that the inner most ring of the lid is just a bit smalller than the outer circumferance of the slinger. Placing the slinger on the can lid will support the slinger while the hub is suspended from the center of the lid by about 1/8" I took a 34mm socket and set it into the recessed slinger hub, took a BFH and whanged on the socket :smash: , driving the slinger hub down toward the can lid surface. It worked!! The hub is now about 1/8" offset from the slinger edge. This allows the slinger to fit snuggly against the crank timing gear and not rub the chain!

I wonder what kind of noise that would have made if I hadn't noticed they rubbed?

So, it's all back together now. Time to start the rest of the project.

Harry

Back