hw 5200 air cleaner mod for 66 mustang

kuhlou

Going to make the 5200 hw swap onto my 66 mustang convertible, but try to keep the appearance stock. Went to the junkyard and got an air cleaner off a ’75 vinatage w/hw carb, and another air cleaner off a ’66 stang, just to have an extra in case of engineering problems. Total cost $35 for the two air cleaners. Really only needed the newer air cleaner for the flange mount to mate with the stock air cleaner. Might have fabricated a new flange, but buying it is quicker!
1. Cut out the hw flange from purchased air cleaner.
2. Cut out inside rolled edge from stock mustang air cleaner base.
3. Trace flange pattern onto stock air cleaner base, cut out hw pattern on the base.
4. BFH to flatten mounting surface for hw flange onto stock base.
5. Discover that stock base with drop does not clear the choke assembly or “high partâ€￾ left of the choke assembly.
6. Beat on stock air cleaner base to create “bulgesâ€￾ to clear the choke assembly and other high spot to left of choke. I was really surprised to see how malleable (beatable) the air cleaner base was. Amazing that stamping steel can take a flexible piece of material and make it stiff!
7. Straighten out mounting flange for the top on base from the beating taken creating the “bulgesâ€￾ for clearance on the 5200. Again, couldn’t believe the stock base could be bent back into shape, but not much of a problem.
8. Never did completely clear the knob on the 5200 left of the choke, will use some gasket material to shim the air cleaner up another 3/8â€￾ or so to clear.
9. “Stealth 5200â€￾ mounted under a stock ’66 mustang air cleaner! Measurement from bottom of stovebolt adaptor to top of the stock air cleaner is 7.5â€￾, should be about 1.5â€￾ of headroom to the hood when mounted directly to the log, as described by jamyers in this thread http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... mount+carb
10. Proper credit is due to jamyers and bigderasa for inspiring this project with their own. Also to my fine college graduate son, who is home for a month before his engineer’s job begins. Handy guy to have around. He’s a bit underemployed around here.
11. Link to the photos here http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll38 ... 20cleaner/
Won’t know how it all fits for awhile, will add to the post when the carb swap happens. Did the air cleaner job while my “freeâ€￾ fabricator was available! Many thanks to all the prior posters on this subject. This one can be added to the pile.

Back