Newb Question

burnoutstang

My falcon performance manual is in the mail, but until then I have a question. How do you adjust the timing on a 200? I know you need a timing light, but what do you do with it? :roll: Man I feel stupid asking this question. I've looked online but it just confuses me more... :|

Timing is adjusted by loosening the little bolt which is attached to your distributor clamp. Timing is advanced by turning the distributor against the direction your rotor spins in.

Timing is "read" by clipping the timing light sensor (pickup) onto the front cylinder spark plug lead, and making sure the correct side of this clip faces the plug (it will be labelled). The timing light probably has also two smaller leads which connect to the battery terminals. Hook them up, too.

When a spark is "felt" by the pickup, it causes a sudden and bright flash to the timing light. This is (hopefully!) pointed at the timing scale, and at that instant will illuminate the timing pointer and pulley notch. Because your motor will be running at 600RPM or more, it happens five times a second (four stroke engine). This is enough to give the appearance of a static picture that may be easily read.

The timing light should come with a wire that you connect to the #1 cylinder ignition wire. From the side where you can reach the distributor you should be able to see the harmonic damper. On the damper there are is a dimple and there should be a scale on the timing chain cover. Using the timing light pointed at the scale the light will flash when the timing mark on the damper comes around to the appropriate mark on the cover. It helps to see it if you paint both the damper and scale with white out.

You need to loosen the bolt beneath the distributor and then turn the casing until the scale on the cover shows you the degree you were looking for. If your distributor has a vacuum line, disconnect it and plug the line. That will allow you to set your base timing.

Allan

So I'm hoping to replace the belt that runs from my fan to damper to alt. By loosening the the alt and replacing the old belt I won't have to adjust any timing right? Also, what are the differences between vacuum advance and mechanical advance? Wish they'd teach you this in college...

burnoutstang":1yzgq6nh said:
So I'm hoping to replace the belt that runs from my fan to damper to alt. By loosening the the alt and replacing the old belt I won't have to adjust any timing right? Also, what are the differences between vacuum advance and mechanical advance? Wish they'd teach you this in college...

That is correct, they're separate systems.

Mechanical advance is a series of springs and weights inside the distributor that functions in relation to engine speed. Vacuum advance is....hell, I don't know exactly, but it's "powered" by a vacuum signal from the engine. At idle and low rpms, vacuum advance has the biggest impact, preserving economy, and mechanical advance kicks in near the top end, I think to maximize power.

...at least, I think so. Someone may be along to correct me shortly ;)

So if it is a different system, where is the timing belt/chain located? Is it ever necessary to get at the actual timing belt/chain to make adjustments or can it all be done via the distributor?

Timing is set at the distributor alone. If it becomes a situation where the chain is causing problems, your only option is to replace it.

The timing cover is next to the water pump, on the front of the block.

Ignition timing, and cam timing are two different animals.

Ignition timing, set by rotating the distributor, controls when the spark plug fires. Timing is done by using a timing light, as described above, or by using a vacuum gage. Personally I think a gage is the better method.

Cam timing is used to control when the valves open and close, in relation to the rotation of the crankshaft. This is done using a timing chain on our motors, a gear drive in the big sixes, or a belt in newer engines. However they all do the same thing. The chain, which is located behind the cover which is directly behind the harmonic balancer and water pump, connects the crank to the camshaft. Timing is accomplished either by lining up dots on the two gears, or by using a degree wheel and various other tools. Degreeing is much more accurate.

Ok, so ideally the mark on the balancer should line be just a hair short of tdc when using a timing light and running the engine right? But if i wanted to set the advance to a certain degree, how would I do that?

burnoutstang":1vz25kc6 said:
Ok, so ideally the mark on the balancer should line be just a hair short of tdc when using a timing light and running the engine right? But if i wanted to set the advance to a certain degree, how would I do that?

With he motor running point the timing light at the dampner. losen the bolt holding the distribitor (just enough to be able to turn the dizzy) and while watching the dampner rotate the distribitor to the timing you want. A little goes a long way.. 6 or 8* is about the norm for these stock 6's.. but could be as high as like 14*...
tim

Oh I see, so the degree part comes form how many degrees the distributor is rotated clockwise. This is great stuff to know. Thanks so much guys.

Almost! The degrees of timing are read off the crankshaft.

The camshaft and distributor rotate at half that speed, because it only firese every second time. So the number of degrees you might rotate the distributor, is exactly half the number of degrees change in timing you will achieve.

It's why a small movement of the dizzy, can effect six or eight degrees variation in timing - and why you need a timing light (setting by ear is for the virtuoso mechanics, not the hobbyists).

Back