Installing The Tri Power, Hand Choke & Cable w/pics

60s Refugee

The last two weeks has been nothing more than fine tuning the carb set up and getting ready for the two biggest car shows of the year. The Bucyrus show this year had nearly 800 cars registered. This show has been listed as one of the top ten cruise in's for the last 6 years according to "Crusin' Times Magazine". I needed to have it right for this one!

I became obvious that I really needed the choke for cold start up/idle. I went to Auto Zone and bought the conversion kit. Most of it was useless since I only needed the cable and I already had mounting clip from a Holley kit. I slid the choke cable out through the fire wall using the steering column grommit as a hole. It slid easily out along the column and was in perfect position for the route.

PC090002.jpg

The picture shows the cable coming through the grommit below the master cylinder. Don't confuse it with the brake lines and stuff!

Next, I ran the cable to the center carb. The mounting bracket is bolted to the choke housing through the upper left hole that held the choke cover in place. To prevent the bracket from rotating, I bent an "L" in it such that it fit tight inside the housing. I cut the tab off long enough for it to extend into the housing (almost to the bottom) and the curve of the housing prevents the bracket from moving up or down. The cable was just the right length and I only had to trim off the wire part, after having made a two loop coil to fit around the choke crank arm.

PC090010.jpg

PC090011.jpg

Next was bolting the pull knob under the dash. The pic shows a rather long bolt. I have since cut it to length after being sure the location worked OK.

PC090014.jpg

The choke works great! It has eliminated many of the problems I had getting the thing to run right! I plan to slip some sort of casing over the cable to improve how it looks and control the rust. I was suprised in how easy it all went in. Here's a pic of how the whole thing looks!

PC090003.jpg

Harry

Back