Pony Carbs Autolite 1100 1v annular discharge?

Jmonty

Anyone out there have the new 1100 carb from Pony Carbs? Just curious to see if someone has seen a difference in performance &/or MPG.

I have a bunch of stuff togther to do a TBI set up, but if I can get similar results with the carb (increased MPG, etc.) I'll go that route & put the MegaSquirt on the 200 I'm building with a custom intake on an OZ head. Of course, if I were to rebuild the carb that's on there & do a tune up that'd help :unsure:

That was going to be my next improvement, but now I have a BHG to deal with. So the carb test is pushed back some.

They just started shipping them out about two weeks ago, so it's a bit early to tell. However, when we were there testing carbs on MRaleys stang, we tested the Vaproizer on his motor. It came very close to producing the same results as the Holley 500cfm-2V. A little less horsepower, but nearly identical torque numbers. Based on what we saw, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see some nice gains in HP, TQ, and mileage. Note the A/F ratio, which we didn't take time to re-jet.

Autolite 200cfm-1V
A/F: 14.05 - HP/TQ: 117.1/153.8 @ 4000rpm (MaxTQ: 165.1@3150)
Holley 500cfm-2V
A/F: 11.20 - HP/TQ: 141.6/151.6 @ 4900rpm (MaxTQ: 168.7@2200)

If we have any members that live in the Las Cruses area, I'd be happy to call Pony Carbs to see if I can arrange to have their car tested on the dyno using their current 1100-1V vrs the new Vaporizer. I might also be able to work out a discount on the carb if you decided to purchase it once the testing is done. Any takers?

AzCoupe":3ugdl9ui said:
They just started shipping them out about two weeks ago, so it's a bit early to tell. However, when we were there testing carbs on MRaleys stang, we tested the Vaproizer on his motor. It came very close to producing the same results as the Holley 500cfm-2V. A little less horsepower, but nearly identical torque numbers. Based on what we saw, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see some nice gains in HP, TQ, and mileage. Note the A/F ratio, which we didn't take time to re-jet.

Autolite 200cfm-1V
A/F: 14.05 - HP/TQ: 117.1/153.8 @ 4000rpm (MaxTQ: 165.1@3150)
Holley 500cfm-2V
A/F: 11.20 - HP/TQ: 141.6/151.6 @ 4900rpm (MaxTQ: 168.7@2200)

If we have any members that live in the Las Cruses area, I'd be happy to call Pony Carbs to see if I can arrange to have their car tested on the dyno using their current 1100-1V vrs the new Vaporizer. I might also be able to work out a discount on the carb if you decided to purchase it once the testing is done. Any takers?

Unfortuneatley nowhere near Las Cruses but how much would the Autolite 1100-1v vaporizer from Pony Carbs cost??--Couldnt find any prices on their site. I'd be happy keeping a 1bbl if it can get me near 2bbl performance and straight bolt on no mods once I do find a car. Thanks

Near 2bbl performance? That is 17% less power than the 2bbl.

It is nearly the same amount of torque, but at 850 less RPM, and as I stated in another post - torque without RPM information is worthless - this illustrates why.

Anyway, I'm sure it's a great carb - but it certainly performed much less well on those tests than the holley 2bbl did. (and duh, it's too small)

Not to mention the Holley was apparantly pig rich.

Straight Six":3mr1vfrh said:
Unfortuneatley nowhere near Las Cruses but how much would the Autolite 1100-1v vaporizer from Pony Carbs cost??--Couldnt find any prices on their site.
$399.50 plus shipping

Bort62":3mr1vfrh said:
It is nearly the same amount of torque, but at 850 less RPM, and as I stated in another post - torque without RPM information is worthless - this illustrates why.
Actually, the Autolite did better than the Holley up to 4000rpm, which is where the Autolite ran out of air. But one would expect that to happen, considering it flows 60% less cfm and the engine it was tested on was a far cry from being stock or even mildly built.
@3000 rpm
Holley 500cfm-2V: 92.15/161.3
Auotlite 200cfm-1V: 93.6/164.0
@3500 rpm
Holley 500cfm-2V: 99.99/150.6
Auotlite 200cfm-1V: 105.3/157.3
@4000 rpm
Holley 500cfm-2V: 117.1/153.8
Auotlite 200cfm-1V: 118.6/155.7
@4500 rpm
Holley 500cfm-2V: 126.9/148.2
Auotlite 200cfm-1V: 86.6/104.0

(and duh, it's too small)
Dah.....? Precisely my point! The two biggest errors when building a motor, are over camming and over carbing. Why use a 500cfm-2V if the 200cfm-1V will get the job done? Obviously it wasn't enough carb for the engine it was tested on, with a ported aluminum head. I think we all understand that..... but thanks for the clarification.

All I'm saying is that the new Vaporizer will handle the job for mildly built motors up to 115-120HP at the rear wheels. And while it has yet to be proven, one would expect to see improved throttle response and mileage due to their annular discharge design.

I am NOT saying that merely bolting on the Vaporizer will give you 115-120 RWHP. You'll still need to upgrade the cam, cylinder head, exhaust, ignition, etc. A stock 200ci running the Vaporizer max'd out at 73.8/68.8 RWHP @4650rpm.

I know you aren't saying any of that sort Mike -

I was just refuting the statement made that it only made "a few less horsepower"

17% is a lot less horsepower.

That is the difference between a 300 HP motor and a 250 HP motor.

Bort62":3ojr9q2i said:
I was just refuting the statement made that it only made "a few less horsepower"

the "vaporizer" posted better numbers up to 4k, it dropped off very steeply at 4500, but if this is a DD i think that would be just fine. if its a track car, then obviously a 200cfm 1 barrel is not the right choice; but if hes looking for an easy, bolt-on performance gain for a mild daily driven 200 - i think its a good choice.

Straight Six":nc6tevc0 said:
Sounds right up my alley---:)

the price is what gets me, i got 3 webers for a little less that half that (including the rebuild kits for the 2 used ones).

I'd like to see just how much difference the Vaporizer's would make on a tri-power set-up? It does get a bit pricey, however it would still be less than triple TBI's. Yet about the closest thing to injection while still using carbs.

If power and economy are much improved over the other carb choices, and the car is used as a daily driver, they just might be worth it in the long run. I guess it all depends on how you look at it. ;)

I think the pony carbs vaporizer is a great option for someone just to add some additional power & ecomomy to their log head.

I question the 14-1 air fuel ratio on any full throttle test. The engine would spark knock uncomtrolably at that lean of fuel mixture unless it was using 114 octane race fuel.

Also the 11-1 air fuel on Michaels holley is either a misprint or???
Stubby tested that carb using an innovate wideband tester & it tested around 13-1.
I also tested that same carb on my engine with my innovate wideband & i got 12.8-1.

Unless the power valve diaphram ruptured & or testing at 4000 feet compared to testing at 40 ' above sea level makes that much difference??

Hey everyone!

AZCoupe... Thanks for the info... that helps. I appreciate you taking the time to put test numbers up here for us.

Would they really be less expensive as a 3 carb set up than a 3 TBI setup? With all new parts including the throttle bodies (3 Extrudabody single TBs) and computer (MegaSquirt) it would be close but maybe leaning to the carbs for lower cost (assuming a wb O2 sensor used for tuning on both rigs.) The manifold cost is the same for both. If you used 3 salvage yard TBIs (Tempo or K car) then the biggest expense is the computer & it would be much cheaper to build a tripower TBI set up. Tripower setups are about coolness factor, not efficency... (that said because I can almost hear someone grumbling about how that's not what FI was designed for, dammit! & blah blah blah quit that carb thinking! Idiots!) A pretty installation of any tripower setup is cool & nothing anyone will say can convice me to change my mind 8)

All I'm looking to do is to have a bit more economy without sacrificing the meager amount of getup and go that my Ranchero already has. I think that carb may just do it without my having to stop driving it while I was installing fuel injection. Now it seems that the FI can go straight to the build up engine. Best of both worlds it seems, although not truly what I would deem inexpensive.

$400 seems like a lot of $$ for a 1v carb; however, like the AL head from Classic Inlines it took time & $$ to develop as a viable product. A lot of people don't understand that it can take $10k (which is a pretty low figure, actually) or more to develop a mold for castings (these are BRAND NEW reproduction, even if they got the molds for the Autolite 1100 from Ford or whoever they had to pay for them) carbs. There are R&D costs which have to be thrown in besides just tooling cost as well. I would bet that they didn't just stumble onto the right combination the first go, even with some highly educated guessing & a lot of math. Dyno time, man hours, machining... it all costs and it all must be paid for in order for a company to remain in business and bring new products to market.

Bort62, I appreciate your input to this thread but please play nice. The weather service will verbalize a slight chance of rain in a forecast, yet when you read the written version it may say 20%. Now to you or me 20% may not be slight but do you call up the TV station and tell the meteorologist that you think his verbage was incorrect? Doubtful. MY point is that you don't have to jump on statements that you disagree with like a duck on a june bug. Erroneous factual information by all means politely correct but please temper your writing. It comes across as you talking down to folks and being extremely argumentative. I think that you have a great deal of knowledge & information to share but much is ignored or lost in the controversy created by the perceived tone of your posts. I know that you could care less what I or most anyone on here would think but just look at what I've said and think about it objectively and not personally.

Can't we all just get along??? :LOL:

I asked Pony Carbs if the new 1100 would be their recommendation for my 69 200ci with a D3 head, headers, Clay Smith 264-12 cam. Their response was that I should install the "correct" head (my quote marks).

aahsac":k7j6ozz9 said:
I asked Pony Carbs if the new 1100 would be their recommendation for my 69 200ci with a D3 head, headers, Clay Smith 264-12 cam. Their response was that I should install the "correct" head (my quote marks).

Obviously they just don't get it with regards to these engines & these cars and the people who own them... unfortunately that probably won't change. All you can do is either just get the carb & use it or go another route to find the perfomance/economy that you are looking for. I'm probably gonna buy one of these carbs... but I'm not asking them questions unless I have an issue with the product performance or quality.

Then again, they may not have the background in modifying or hopping up these engines, so they may not have had a clue as to what you were referring to when you inquired.

"The bottom line is, to make your six cylinder engine run the best, get the appropriate sized carburetor from Pony Carburetors, the Pertronix igniter to replace the points and condenser and get the port divider plate for between the #3 and #4 exhaust ports. These are the three things you can do to make your car run the best. With these modifications, the car will turn 70-72 mph in the standing quarter mile. If that isn’t fast enough, you should sell the car and buy a V8."

I just took this off of Pony Carbs FAQ site. Seems to me like Mike's helping them out and they're not reciprocating. The last line should say, if that's not fast enough, contact Classic Inlines.

I would really like to see three of their carbs on a full-bore adaptor tri-power set up. Maybe they can do a discount on a 3 pack.

John at Pony Carbs is definitely old school and doesn't have a clue about our sixes. But for that matter, how many do? How many times have we all heard, get a V8. Most people just don't understand that you can hop up a six. Its not just him...... ;)

We plan to go back to Pony Carbs and do more testing for a couple different reasons. First, to show them what can be done with a six. But mainly so I know what works and what doesn't, since I'm now a dealer for them. Hopefully when we are done testing, I'll be able to recommend the right carb for a specific application.

Back