Engine colors

sasktrini

I am going to repaint my engine in the process of replacing gaskets.

I have a Canadian 64 Econoline Falcon Van, with a 63 Falcon 170cid block and 61 Econoline Cyl Head.

I understand that American 170's were black w/red valve cover to make it easy to distinguish from the blue 144 and gold 200. My valve cover is blue at present, and I'm not sure if that was just a canadian thing...

Any idea what color my engine would have been?

Thanks,

Nobody? Let's try this...

What car and Falcon-six engine do you have and what is the factory engine color for it? Lets see if there's more in common between the Stangs, Econolines, Comets, Falcons... you name it. Let's also see if there were differences between American and Canadian factory color choices...

Thanks,

A 64-65 Mustang six is black with Ford Engine red valve cover and Air cleaner. In 66 the whole engine becomes Ford blue. I have never heard of any other color. Now....maybe in Canada they did them up in a tartan plaid, perhaps the Campbell Plaid. Especially in the Fergus Ontario area. In Quebec I expect they were French blue with those gold Boy Scout emblems on the valve covers. :D Just kidding!!!

I'd suggest that Ford was the same in Canada as the US considering they built a lotta Ford parts up there.

Harry

Good point, Harry... I didn't really think of that. You must have a 170 if your valve cover is red... not sure that plaid really works for me though.

I'm thinking that I will paint the block and head with Duplicolor Aluminum or Cast Iron Engine Enamel, rather than black, just to make it easier to see leaks and stuff, especially since there's no hood light in the Econo doghouse. I'll hit the exhaust with the high heat flat black. Then I'll deal with the valve cover, oil pan and air cleaner later with the Ford Red, but chrome would be sweet.

Anyone else? Or feedback on my idea? Thanx!

You want to see leaks? I have painted my last few projects black to hide em. I think my 6's are all black. One of them has some blue paint falling off of it, or maybe the black is falling off showing the blue? All my 6 covers are blue, all are 200's not sure the vintages. I think chrome looks better on black but that could just be me.

hmm - if its of any help

- the early australian ford 6's ( up to 1966) were silver blocks and head with red rocker cover for 170 and gold for 200.( and a light green(duckegg?) for the 144.

can see a glorius 1960's technicolour pic here :

http://www.xpfalcon.com/

and scroll down in the left hand bar to 'quick link' and then 'engines'

post 1966/67 all became ford blue blocks

supposedly the early 200 ci engines (1964 and 1965)used in Ford australia came from canada- as australia and canada were commonwealth countries it gave adavantages in import taxes compared to importing from the USA.

brett

melb

Brett

my friends '63 170 falcon is black with a red valve cover and red air cleaner. by the time mavericks came areound they were all ford blue, the whole block. im not really too famiular with the earlier stuff. all the falcons and mustangs i see at car shows are usually done in red though

Back