I Won "Best Engine" Trophy Yesterday!!! Pics!

60s Refugee

I know this probably should be posted in the Car Show section, but since most of the tech answers came from this section, I thought you'd like to share the moment.

I attended yesterday's car show at Grace Baptist Church in Galion, Ohio. It's a nice show, getting bigger every year, and all the local Galion car folks attend. A few more than 200 cars were there. I expect there would have been more, but it rained several times. Some folks hate their rides getting wet.

Now,...I'm not a trophy kinda' guy. I have won several with this car, but mostly I go there for the fun. The nice thing about church car shows is there is usually more food! You hafta hide the beer though :cry: .

Anyhow, they awarded 25 trophies. As with most, these were sponsered by local businesses and contributors. There were 20 "cool car" trophies and five specialty awards. I stood there listening as they awarded the first 20 and, after not being called, I thought, well, factoring in the usual GM bias at these events, I figured that once again I just wasn't worthy this time.

First specialty trophy was for "Best Interior". Now, when they mean "best" they say "favorite" 'cuz it's really impossible to say whoz' is actually "best". That's gonna' get 'ya sued if you try! Anyhow, I got excited. Maybe my Pony interior was worthy..Nope, it went to a fuzzy hot rod. Next was "Best Paint Job". I got excited again, maybe this time..mine is surely the best,...Nope, went to a green Super Bee. Crap! Next was "Best Street Rod". Well, that would not be me! I didn't even listen who it went to, I started to leave. Then the "Best Engine" trophy was called. I couldn't believe it! "CAR NUMBER 7! 1965 MUSTANG COUPE OWNED BY HARRY TITUS!" Wait!, that's me! I couldn't believe it! My tri power six just beat out all the big block chrome covered GM and Mopar guys! Well, damn!

I was thrilled, suprised, and got lotsa' applause as I went up and got it. There was a grumble or two I heard about later, but well, so what! We beat 'em! WE, all of us on this forum beat 'em.

Here's a few pics to enjoy!

P1050004.jpg

P1050005.jpg

P1050001.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Oh, Yes, ..."Best of Show" went to a chopped 37 Chevy sedan. Go figure...

Harry

I hope it runs as good as it looks. Congradulations on your trophy. Well earned. Bill

Harry congratulations! That is really a nice looking vehicle, inside & out. You have probably posted this in the past, but what carbs are you running?? Also, how old is your paint job?? I can see why you were in suspense when they were announcing for the best paint job; that is a really "sweet" paint job! Jim

Patrick66":2ivi2ku7 said:
congrats Harry!

tri-power ftw

Yeah, there's something about a well-detailed, multicarb inline that just makes people take one more look than they expected they would, isn't there? It's an engine that says its owner was willing to follow a road less traveled. It demonstrates abilities, effort and knowledge.

Compared to the typical, boring V8 with a single 4-barrel on an after market aluminum manifold and pretty chrome and aluminum dress up items it's an interesting engine to look at. It stands out. It draws you in. It has cool and unusual details and it entices you to look for more of them.

James,

The two outer carbs are Holley 1904's. They are soon to be replaced by two Autolite 1100's. The center is a Pony rebuilt Autolite 1100, soon to have the lower half replaced by an older Falcon lower half to employ the original factory hand choke set up. I have finally got the Holleys tuned as best I can, but I'm not happy with them. I think the three Autolites will make a better set. Patrick 66 gave me one of the Autolites and the other one came from eBay and isn't very good. I'll see how it works!

The paint is about a year and a half old. It has been through a full winter and two very wet summers. We painted it in my brothers restoration shop using base coat/clear coat PPG paint, then sanded with 1500 and buffed. It has about 15 coats of McGuires "Tech Wax" which is about the best wax I've ever seen. I used to use "Liquid Glass" but that brand takes too much work for an old man, and doesn't fill and shine like the McGuires does.

Harry

Harry thanks for the info on your carb set-up; and also on your paint job! I see you are a Vietnam Vet. Where were you located, and what unit were you with??? I was with the 4th Infantry Division in the Central Highlands in 68' & 69'; always nice to hear from a fellow Vet! Jim

Congrats Harry!! The grumbling losers are half the reason for doing what we do-maybe at least one of them will realize that its "hod rodding", not "big blocking" that we all enjoy! Let me know the next time you are in cleveland again.

JOHN G":8hce7aa8 said:
Congrats Harry!! The grumbling losers are half the reason for doing what we do-maybe at least one of them will realize that its "hod rodding", not "big blocking" that we all enjoy! Let me know the next time you are in cleveland again.

I prefer to call it "credit-carding".

Yuppie speed wrench.

James,

1970. I was in I Corps. Quang Nai, Central Highlands, Chu Lai, Duc Pho, LZ San Juan Hill, Ba To, Iron Mountain, Leach Valley, Mi Lai, also in the Ashaw Valley once, Cambodia once, C43 Americal Div. Grunt, but that's all! (except for the hospital part) I was on LZ Betty the night it got over run. That was up near your AO so you might remember Betty

Harry

Back