1978 Mercury Zephyr

Straight Six

Would everything(ie---the AC system,ignition,rearend -etc) from a 1978 Mercury Zephyr be transferable with little modification into a 67 coupe body.It already has a 200 I6 and C4 trans.

the r/e will not work. it has coil springs vs leaf springs. if you are talking ac system the compressor will but not the underdash unit.

Howdy Staight Six:

Many parts will fit but the "everything" will not. As Fordnut pointed out with the ac and the rear end.

Take a close look at the configuration of the oil pan from early 200 to late. You could swap your '68 pan and oilpump pickup to the later engine. The same is true of the waterpump and pulleys. AKT the '78 trans is not a C4, but a later version C5 which has slightly different external features.

The AC compressor and underhood systems could be adapted, but clearance around the original battery location and hoses will need attention.

I don't know what your motivation is, or your goal, but you may be better off gleaning parts to swap over; such as the Duraspark II ignition, later head and valve cover along with throttle linkage- from gas pedal to carb. I personally could not reccomend the Holley 1946 carb of that year, but others may have a better opinion. Keep your '68 exhaust manifold as it will be less encumbered with EPA bungs and taps.

What's your goal? What's your plan?

Adios, David

Well the car is being offered for $1000 so I figured that with it being a newer 200 six that it could be useful as getting as many newer?upgraded parts -ie like ignition,Ac,engine, trans - etc as possible to transfer into a 67 body and then sell the remainder parts/body on ebay/craigs list or something to recoup any cost that I could. Basically was toying with the thought that it might net me the most usable parts for the least amount of outlay.

"1978 Mercury Zephyr-Same as ford fairmont
only 65K miles all original
200 Straight six with c4 3speed automatic transmission Gets 25+mpg
Runs and Drives Good, New plugs, wires, cap and rotor, Fuel system gone through.
Owned by a Mechanic. tires are 70%, A/C blows cold and heater is really hot, Interior is in good shape.
Car is forrest green with beigh vinyl top and beige interior
Transmission has 500 miles on rebuild done by reputable trans shop, cant feel it shift durning normal cruising but with scratch tires at wot 1-2 shift.
The engine is fords 3.3l 200ci straight six, its a bulletproof engie with 7 main bearings and are know to last forever. The engine is incredibly smooth with no vibration thanks to its design.
The car has american racing aluminum rims and all aftermarket speakers and small subs in trunk.
I originally bought it to drive to and from work (50 miles each way) because of its good gas mileage, and planned on installing a 351/408 windsor over the winter. I recently got an apartment close to where i work and have no place for a second vehicle anymore. The car is a fox body car-- meaning it is the same basic design as the 79 to 93 mustangs. Any suspension or drivetrain part for a mustang will fit this car. "

$1000 is way too much.
78fairmont01.jpg

I got this for $1000. Rust-free. around 100k miles on it.

what parts do you need? might be more economical to just buy those parts, and not have to worry about disposing of the hull.

48fordnut":1s57f9j9 said:
what parts do you need? might be more economical to just buy those parts, and not have to worry about disposing of the hull.

True--thats why Im glad Ive got people to bounce ideas off of. Thanks.

Back