i need inline six info

61ffn

i have a 61 ford falcon that i am looking at putting a 200ci or 250ci in but i dont know what kind of speed im looking at. if built up are these good racing motors because i want the six for the fact the car came with one and i dont want to have to cut the body all up to put in a v8. so if someone could let me know what kind of horses i could get out of these that would be great. thanks :D

Just like with any motor it depends on how much $ you want to put into it.

What's your budget?
Can you weld/fabricate?
Do you want to buy "bolt on" power?

Do you want N/A or boost?
What's your experience level?

Give us some more information and we can help you plan your project.

sorry bout that uhh i dont really have a budget i am wanting to do it as i get the money but i am wanting to put a turbo on the motor but i am wanting to bore the motor out too. i really dont have a lot of experience with this because it is my first project. i can weld and i have people that i know that can fabricate and weld. bolt on power would be good because i could do that before i go and bore out the motor.

Boring out the motor will not gain you any performance benefit.

If you are doing a rebuild you should only bore it out enoug to true the cylinder.

There is no bolt on turbo but if you can fabricate and have someone that is experienced that can help you a 250 inline is running 10's in a Falcon.

Many dollars is required to get to that level though.

What kind of car are you putting this motor in? Do you want a car that you can drive daily or do you want a race car?

Get the Falcon Six Performance Book from Classic Inlines and spend some time reading posts in the forum to get an idea of what can be done.

When you have an idea of what you would like to do you can ask more specific questions. You'll get lots of help from this site with specific questions asked from a more "knowledgeable" point of view.

Good luck on you project and welcome to the forum.

Bob

i am putting the motor in a 1961 ford falcon 2dr and i am wanting a sleeper look. i want something that i can drive around and appears stock but i can take to the track and blow peoples mind.

61ffn":3lhzukq3 said:
i am wanting to bore the motor out too. i really dont have a lot of experience with this because it is my first project.

You haven't said why you think it requires an overbore.
An overbore will not gain much power per dollar invested.
Have you done a compression test?

If you're looking for a cheap motor that builds gobs of power, you're probably better off with a v8. i6's are great and you can get a surprising amount out of them, but adding displacement is cheaper than carefully researching, building, and tuning a motor (especially with technology that's been virtually abandoned by the manufacturer for almost 30 years). This is more fun for some people, but building an 8 is simple, since everyone's already been doing it for so long.

61ffn":2q11ngw8 said:
i wanted to bore the motor out because i thought it would bump me up on a ton of horses.

Come back down to earth friend ;) There is no single modification you can do to achive a "ton of horses" including boring.

What the others said...get the Handbook, read every page on this Forum and then you can formulate an achievable plan with a reasonable expectation of results.

This might help you understand boring:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0 ... index.html

Boring increases the cylinder size, but like a lot of Ford engines, these are thinwall castings, so you can't go far enough to get a significant increase without sleeving the cylinders (which is expensive) and even then, it's not going to get you huge gains.

Overboring for performance is bigger with the Chevrolet crowd, because they tend to have a lot of extra meat. As a comparison: Some Chebby's can go as far as .150 over. In some cases, that means 40 or 50 extra cubes or more. That will get your attention. But Ford's don't usually have a lot of extra steel that can be cut away. They tend to use the space they've got (and avoid adding extra weight) so the max bore for these engines top out at around .60 (I think there was one guy on here who got to .70), and with this particular engine even that's considered a little risky. I think .40 is considered the usual "safe" limit.

If you went .60 over, you would probably get a boost in power, but for all the money it's going to cost you, you could have gotten a LOT more output if you put that money somewhere else.

The biggest problem with these engines is the breathing. Work on that first.

i wanted to bore the motor out because i thought it would bump me up on a ton of horses.

Surely this is a bit.

if you are looking for this kind of increase, you might want to think v/8. no cutting required for a sbf. but be prepared to spend money. learn about engs and other mechanicals first. a bore of .030 will most likely sufice in most any case.

I bored my 200 40 over and I only picked up 6ci. There are much better ares to focus on to make power... namely the cylinder head.

Back