Modded 200 with C4 tranny: How to get the most?

TucsonHooligan

I own a '64 Falcon 2 door sedan with a 170 mated to a C4 from '70 Mustang I believe. The engine runs like a champ, starts right up, idles strong and gets me where I need to be. Its a dog though, no acceleration and top speed on the freeway is around 70 mph and the revs are high (not sure exactly how high, but you can hear it whining)

Solution: Rebuild and swap a '66 200 I recently picked up for a bill to provide a little more oomph. Got a HW 5200 with the clifford adapter, single out headers, Duraspark II, mild cam, etc., to give me the aforementioned oomph, but not sure about the transmission. I would like to keep the C4, as I like the automatic aspect, but am afraid it will top out too soon and not take full advantage of the rebuilt 200. Am I right? Is there something that can be done with the torque converter to "tighten up" the works and make it more like a clutch for power transfer, or am I stuck with the stock one?

I have the stock rear end, the 2.77 I believe it is, and would like to keep it, as I am concerned more with a top cruising speed rather than acceleration off the line. Is this the way to go?

I have the original 13 inch, 4 bolt rims, which I would also like to keep because I like the look. Not sure on the tire size, suppose I could go out to the parking lot and check, but they're small to say the least. Would an increase in size with that rear/tranny/motor combo be prudent, or would that load up the system too much and bog it down? What size would recommended to get the best top speed?

A lot to answer I know, but I want to do this once and do it right, so this car can be a driver for the next 40 years :shock: and can be dependable for road trips. I'm willing to drop the money to make it happen, so straighten me out and tell me what I need to do.

Jim

Back