Create my own header?!

michael_cini

i have a single out header on my 63 Falcon with OZ head that i got used from a friend who got it out of a junk yard and had it jethot coated. please don't ask what brand, cause i do not know! i had a hell of a time getting it to fit my head, it is just a poor fit. i had to custom make the header gasket for it, cause a stock one didn't fit well. i put it on once and it developed a exhaust leak within 100 miles. i took it off and redid the gaskets, and now after less than 200 miles i can hear it ticking again. dammit!

here is a thread about getting the thing to fit, it was a pain: http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

i know there is no one who makes a header for a 250 with low starter. so what do i do, make one? if could create the piping and have a friend weld it, but where would i get the head to header flange?

any ideas would be appreciated. thanks!

michael

The seal is a physical result of the shape and seal. I would think if the header surface and head matting surface is flat it should seal.

Has your header and head been checked for flat?

Ric.

here is a link to an australian supplier of exhaust flanges:item HP F6

http://www.castleauto.com.au/hs_dbase/f ... xsc2VhcmNo

but there must be people in the states that can supply - in fact i remember a post on this forum where someone had this link ( ie castle autos ) and also other US suppliers of exhaust parts- tried to quick search but cant find it - if you have more time you may be able to find it

brett

I think I remember Will (Does tens), saying something about some watercut flanges. If someone wants to lay it out on autocad, I can have them cut for a reasonable price.

66200i6":3frgdnw2 said:
The seal is a physical result of the shape and seal. I would think if the header surface and head matting surface is flat it should seal.

Has your header and head been checked for flat?

Ric.

Im with this dude, resurface the header to cylinder head mating surface and your problem should go away.

I custom built headers for my '61 Falcon. At the time (mid '90s) there simply was not much available, JC Whitney offered a ?Pacesetter? header for the Econoline and Clifford only had the dual header where one of the collector pipes exited thru the inner fender into the wheel well for the Falcon. I bought a Clifford, looked at how much I would have to hack up my car and returned the unit to Clifford.

I bought the Whitney header and used the header mtg flange (cutting the tubes off either before or after the first bend). I also reused the 3 into 1 collectors. I fabricated the the intermediate tubes to conect the flange to the collector.

I used Hooker brand sleeve connectors (cutting them down for 1.375 dia tubing) for each of the joints along with numerous pieces of mandrel bent tubing (cutting out the portion of the curve as needed).

This was a very long drawn out process - in part since my TIG access was at work during lunch. I would cut/fit a tube segment, take the header asm to work and tack weld. Take the header asm back home and test fit, readjust tube or fit next tube(s). A header tube is typically made up of 4 to 6 segments.

So far, after only about 4,000 miles, none of the welds have cracked. I really do not look forward to having to locally grind the ceramic coating and then repair weld any cracks.

I would not do this (today) with other header options available.

We have a new supplier working on some headers for us, but its taking forever to get them done. Hopefully we'll have some in stock in a few weeks. One of the new designs is for a 250ci with a low starter.

that is great news mike! many of us have been waiting for this! please keep me posted.

the main problem with the header is that the head flange is in 2 pieces (pic included) and so over time it has flexed a bit and no longer fits the bolt holes well. when i install it i have to sandwich a bolt between the 2 parts to pry it wide enough apart to fit the head bolt holes. and then it is still a big struggle to get it right!

headerMod.jpg

AzCoupe":2xp97csk said:
We have a new supplier working on some headers for us, but its taking forever to get them done. Hopefully we'll have some in stock in a few weeks. One of the new designs is for a 250ci with a low starter.

Back