My big exhaust, help me sort it

350kmileford

So I picked up a used Hooker Super Comp header unit, for my 200 ci engine. It has dual 2.50" outlets... I know this is big, and I may have jumped the gun in ordering 2 mufflers @ 2.50" in/out as well.

Now (eventually, sooner rather than later) my 200 will be modded with a Eaton M90, 5 speed tranny, 350 cfm carb, bigger cam, ignition, rockers, etc... however, it'll have an unmodified log head for a long time.

Even with the above changes, will the dual 2.5" exhaust be overkill? Should I just get a stepdown piece and run the headers into a 2" pipe all the way back? ( would have to get new mufflers-again)

However, I am also worried about noise. Right now I just have a stock exhaust manifold with (only) a single 2" pipe all the way back. It has a loud (unnamed) 1 into 2 muffler. My car is loud. Although I get a lot of compliments on the sound, it gets annoying when driving.

The mufflers I bought are Dynomax Turbo Thrush. Would the headers, linked to the 2.50" pipe and mufflers, be ungodly loud? I was told that the Tubo Thrush mufflers are quiet, so I hope they are. I did only pay 20 bucks a piece for the mufflers new, so if you guys think it would be really loud, not a huge loss . . .

I've got 2-1/4" DynoMax Turbos on a dual header exhaust with 2-1/4" pipes all the way back and the sound is good and not too loud. Another 1/4" will probably make them a little louder/throatier sounding but I think you will still be quieter than anything with Flowmasters on them.

I believe the issue with larger pipes is performance based, not so much sound. Sound wise (at least in theory) it should drop the note down as far as pitch is concerned. Decibel wise, it shouldn't make a large difference either way. Quality of note, it may sound a little more 'tinny' then a 2" system, but you probably won't notice the difference and I'm will to bet it'll sound way better then your current set up.

one thing you'll notice is the reduced ground clearance. those headers already hang low. i'd really consider going 2".

when you do the system, I'd keep it true dual (no H-pipe).

Available reducers from Hooker or others will reduce the 2-1/2 to 2".
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

I used 2" pipes and a set of 2" turbo muff's but they proved too loud for daily driver use. I tried adding "resonators" but currently am using two stock mufflers. My impression is that "oversize" mufflers add a metallic rasp to the inlines and glasspacks produce a drone.
FULLXHAUSTFLEXBACK.jpg

CROSSMEMBERFLEXCU.jpg

On the 250 Comet I'm using same setup but with the popular Smithy' s muffs'. Still too loud (for me) for daily driver but perfect for Hot Rod rapp'in - crackle and VRooom...
100_5143.jpg

Powerband
8)

What are those braided fusible links in front of the mufflers? Flex cuffs or adaptors or what?

My local muffler shop - Midas - just made up a solid adaptor on the stretcher. He took a 2" pipe and expanded it to make the transition.

keep your mufflers, if you get a 2" or 2.25" system you can use reducers to fit the 2.5" mufflers on there. usually mufflers flow less than just a straight pipe of the same size, if your lucky using 2.5" mufflers on a 2" system could mean that the mufflers flow the same as the pipes. but, most manufacturers don't list flow, just size.

I agree with patrick 66 concerning flows. I just did 2 1/4 true duals with generic turbos and couldn't be happier. Loud enough putting around town and fairly quiet on the highway. As for running 2.5 duals it would only be a bit more over kill than my 2 1/4. Iv'e been told there are no performance issues with too much flow but i've been wrong before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyWqsoMDlwY

Wow that doesn't sound bad at all. My exhaust does sound very similar to the first portion of that clip. Maybe I will try the bigger setup first.

grocery getter":37l7ovom said:
one thing you'll notice is the reduced ground clearance. those headers already hang low. i'd really consider going 2".

The one thing I noticed when I did mine was that the "true dual" setup can produce an annoying drone. At least it did on mine.

Adding an x-pipe cured it, but it also reduced the sound quite a bit. I wasn't trying to go for a super loud exhaust (I live in the city, and my neighbors already hate me after the last year spent working on the car), but she's almost too quiet now. I've heard that an h pipe will kill the drone without reducing the sound level.

l3n":28uy6646 said:
grocery getter":28uy6646 said:

The one thing I noticed when I did mine was that the "true dual" setup can produce an annoying drone. At least it did on mine.

Adding an x-pipe cured it, but it also reduced the sound quite a bit. I wasn't trying to go for a super loud exhaust (I live in the city, and my neighbors already hate me after the last year spent working on the car), but she's almost too quiet now. I've heard that an h pipe will kill the drone without reducing the sound level.

I really like the sound on mine (true dual). the firing order on our sixes makes for a sweet sound, especially at idle. I went with the cheapest turbo style muffler my installer sold.
I'm sure most people would think it's a V-8 8)

Ln3, shouldn't you be helping Lagrasta with his trans swap ? :LOL:

If you have a full exhaust that runs the length of the car and think its too loud...

put an X pipe on it...

I was amazed how quiet my exhaust note was after doing this.

grocery getter":yfpfnvrn said:
I really like the sound on mine (true dual). the firing order on our sixes makes for a sweet sound, especially at idle. I went with the cheapest turbo style muffler my installer sold.
I'm sure most people would think it's a V-8 8)

Ln3, shouldn't you be helping Lagrasta with his trans swap ? :LOL:

I really liked the idle before I added the x pipe, but that drone at 2000 rpm was super annoying. Now I don't have the drone, but my idle is a lot less cool :roll:

Haha, is he doing that yet?

Best sounding muffler ive ever heard personally was a set up with dual flowmasters and a dual out header. I had 50 series flows exiting the side of the car and loved it, then I gave the header to a buddy who did 40 series flows dumped at the rear axle and it sounded even better. You absolutely could NOT tell that it was a six, it sounded wonderful! Now im runnin straight pipe after the turbo out the sides and its LOOUUUDDDD...but I dont daily drive it anymore so I dont mind ;) Best of luck with your project!
Matt

Back