ram air

Probably not much, since ram air systems don't do much except provide a source of cool air.

Cowl induction is where it's at. That will actually force a little air into the carb because the base of the windshield is the highest-pressure area on the car. Why do you suppose Nascar uses those?

To be fair, cowl induction would only be good for 3-5 hp at best. A modern, high-flow filter element located in the grille area would likely do at least as good.

On the note of performance...I wonder why cool cans have lost their favor. In the 60's ..10ft of copper in a standard coffee can, filled with ice, to circulate your gas prior to the carb was considered a serious upgrade for performance. Haven't heard much about that in this forum...or even in Mustang V8's?

Hmmm. The effect probably don't last too long. Maybe that's why...never heard of them before, though the concept is sound.

A cool can is a good idea on a drag strip. You have to continuously fill the can with ice, though. On a hot day, it might last 10 minutes.

The other problem is that by altering the fuel temp (and subsequently the carb temp), you could change the tune. Again, not an issue at the track where you might be able to do a jet swap, but on the street it might be impractical.

wallaka":31mlqg0m said:
Cowl induction is where it's at. That will actually force a little air into the carb because the base of the windshield is the highest-pressure area on the car. Why do you suppose Nascar uses those?

While I agree that cowl induction is a good source of cool air from a low pressure point, NASCAR cars wouldn't get ram air from their grill areas like our blunt-nosed mustangs and falcons would. They have to keep their fans running to cool the radiators and when drafting the nose of the car can actually see negative pressure. A recent case in point was last week's race where Dale Jr. had debris on the nose of his car blocking the radiator, so he pulled up close and drafted, turned off his fans, and the suction pulled the debris off.

Well, here's a fun project and it actually does make a difference at highway speed:

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

ludwig":2n4za82l said:
Well, here's a fun project and it actually does make a difference at highway speed:]

Is that a defroster duct? Sweet! Most of the carb'd cars from the '70's/'80's I have had come from the factory with some sort of duct that gets air from behind the grille. (y)

Jammer":5od26hso said:
On the note of performance...I wonder why cool cans have lost their favor. In the 60's ..10ft of copper in a standard coffee can, filled with ice, to circulate your gas prior to the carb was considered a serious upgrade for performance. Haven't heard much about that in this forum...or even in Mustang V8's?

A lot of things that were considered "serious upgrades for performance" have since been exposed for what they really are :)

Cooling your gasoline is going to marginally increase it's density - which will allow you to flow more fuel through the same sized jet.

However, That isn't really all that useful as you might as well just use a larger jet w/ room temperature fuel.

inadvertently cooling the carburetor may also have some marginal effect, but I doubt an engine would actually see any benefit from this.

That is actually and really 2" racing duct from a local speed shop. It comes in a variety of diameters priced per foot. I thought about Mustang defroster ducts but they come in one length only so they are shorter and smaller in diameter than the snorkel.

Some guys use dryer vent duct. I find that it lacks a certain visual charm. The idea of racing duct on grandma's car amuses me.

The collector is a 2" roof flashing, reworked to accept the hose at the narrow end of the funnel. (Thank you Mr. McNiel, 8th grade metal shop, 1964-65.)

BTW, if you haven't yet done so, get a copy of the Schjeldahl brothers' performance handbook from the Ford Six Shop. They have a number of low cost speed tips that you can do to bump the performance of your classic ride. (Where I got the idea for the cool air induction.)

As for cooling the fuel, it must have a very limited application, because there was a guy in Minnesota that wrapped an insulating jacket around his carb in the winter time. And we have that carb heater plate on the standard six. A half a per cent bump in HP on an engine putting out 500 hp or more is a lot more than on a 90 horse plant.

Back