cardone distributor?

Don't use that distributor cause it has the dual diaphram vacuum advance. You want the distributor for a 78 ford fairmount & that should be a single vacuum advance.
After you get the distributor it will have to be updated using lighter advance springs.
Mr. Gasket #925D contains 2 lighter advance weight springs. Bill

It will probably perform at least as well as what you are replacing without changing the springs if thats more than you want to deal with at this time.

I think the dual/ single advance depended on where the car was sold but most years there should be both options single or dual, just ask for the single. If you can get a good deal on the dual I have read that the work fine if you just hook up the one port. The singles look like they may just remove the second nipple and plug it at the factory so who knows they may all be the same anyway.

I just looked at the picture and if its the right photo thats not quite right. I dont think any of the DS 1 & 2's had the clips on the dizzy body to hold the cap. The ds1's had a screw on cap and the ds2's used an adapter that screwed on and that had the clips on it to hold the cap. Could just be my bad memory though.....

I work for CSK and the Cardone reman's are supposed to be good according to company literature. That being said, the picture they show online is only supposed to be "representative". What you need to do is go back to the CSK store and have the parts tech pull up a graphical on the part (if there is one) and look at the pictures there - those will be the exact part from 3-4 sides so you can see before buying. I do this all the time when trying to match up water pumps and relays and odd things for people. We consider this a "research project" and it usually lightens up our day.

If you have not purchased the distributor yet, why not get the preferred of the two.
The double chamber can was for california emissions.
Bort 62 is correct you can just use the advance port, but buy the choice one the first time. Bill

No i havent purchased it yet i was just wondering theres a few durasparks on eaby i just wanted to know if i dont find one used somewhere that i can buy those ones. I just pulled that one up, there was one with a single vac, the only reason i pulled that page was because it said electronic ignition with dual vacs where the single didnt say electronic but im sure if i actually go to the store ill learn more. Thanks guys.

What Bill said. Here is a snippet from my old webpage:

All parts can be taken from a 1979 Ford Fairmont or Futura

Distributor: A1 CARDONE Part# 30-2690 (Single Vacuum)

You will also need the Cap, Rotor and Distributor Cap Adapter/Spacer

Oh, that's cool!

The missing link between the breaker-point distributors and durasparks, combining a breaker-points housing and a duraspark reluctor and magnetic pickup.
Have seen this distributor only three times, and only one time in person, and believe it to be quite a rare item. All beared D3 casting numbers, stamped from late-'73 to mid-'74. The pickup base as well differs from the common duraspark unit, as it fits inside the smaller breaker points housing and has a frappant similarity to the V8-durasparks.

(While I am not absolutely sure of the nomenclature here, this might be the "true" DS1, while the small cap of what we have thought of as a DS1 might just been an early variation of the DS2. Purely hypothetical, of course.)

Back