DS II Springs

BIGREDRASA

1K+
VIP
Finally bought the Mr. Gasket
#925D
ADVANCE CURVE KIT
1965-70 Ford. dist.-2 Springs.

Using my low-tech tension gauge, I was able to do some comparisons.
LowTechTensionMeasurement.jpg

DS II Smaller Spring (Blue) 1/8â€￾ pull = 4 oz./ ¼ lb.
DS II Heavy Spring 1/8â€￾ pull = 6 lbs.

Industrial 2300 dizzy, Light Spring, 6 coils 1/8â€￾ = 2 lbs.
Industrial 2300 dizzy, Heavy Spring, 7 Coils 1/8â€￾ = 4 lbs

925D Spring (Both look the same), 1/8" pull = 6 oz.

Without a Tach, Distributor Machine and a dial-back timing light, I won't really be able to test the impact of replacing the Heavy Spring. It looks to me, so far, that the 925D Spring is actually a little heavier than the light spring in my DS II, so it is actually going to delay the centrifugal advance.

I'm tempted to use the 4 lb. spring form the old 2300 dizzy, as it's 2 lbs. lighter. The 925D is likely too light to replace the heavy spring, as another member found out.

Hypothesis: For our purposes, save your money ($3.99 + Tax), don't bother with the 925D springs.

Not much help since I am not finding it now but I recall one article that stated only one of the springs in the kit is used/necessary to satisfactorily recurve the DSII. I think it stated not to use the heavy spring in the kit but which position is used I don't recall.

Interesting, is it possible that different DSII's came with different springs. I just completed the recurve and noticed a difference in appearance and tension between the lighter stock spring and the 925D spring. the 925D looked lighter and felt lighter. Maybe i'll try testing the both of them.

I'll see if I can find that article in the next day or two...thought I had it bookmarked :cry:

Also, apology offered for the double post :oops:

Did anyone come to a conclusion with this? I just did the swap this weekend and whoa! A difference on the minus side. It definitely has to do with the mechanical curve on the thing. I have the heavy stock spring and the lighter 925D spring. One is loose as is posted on another thread. I was going to just pull the heavy one and go with the light one but that would be way too much too quick. I think someone else posted in another thread that they had very bad detonation doing that. Either or, I guess I go to playing with the springs. For the record, it does "feel" better once it winds up. Back to the drawing board!

That was probably me, this mod didn't work that well on mine. iirc, I ended up going back to the stock springs but bending the arms to change the curve.

And it worked for you? This should be a great modification compared to the old points system. I'm thinking its all in the currrrrrrve! :)

Harte3":2f2vcug7 said:
Not much help since I am not finding it now but I recall one article that stated only one of the springs in the kit is used/necessary to satisfactorily recurve the DSII. I think it stated not to use the heavy spring in the kit but which position is used I don't recall.

both springs in the kit are the same, i think your referring to the sticky at the top of the page "dramatically better mpg with ds2" (or somethin like that). your probably thinking of the part where it says to only replace the heavier spring on the distributer and to leave the lighter one.

Ronbo":3vmzvm36 said:
And it worked for you? This should be a great modification compared to the old points system. I'm thinking its all in the currrrrrrve! :)
I guess you're asking me. Looked back at the sticky, and here's what I did. (has it been 2 1/2 years already???)

jamyers":3vmzvm36 said:
Just an FYI - The above mod didn't work for me - it gave me way too much advance at part throttle and also at higher rpms at wot. The part-throttle could be dealt with by an adjustable vacuum advance, but the high rpm/wot could only be dealt with by either putting the "stock" (rebuilt dizzy) springs back in or by backing off the whole timing curve.

My DS1 dizzy (spec'ed from a '75 Maverick), is using the centrifugal advance slot marked 13, which means 26 degrees centrifugal advance (right?). I wouldn't mind shortening the slot to 20 degrees and putting the Mr Gasket springs back in if it didn't mean completely disassembling the dizzy and brazing up the slot.

What I did was put the original heavy/lighter springs back in, and then bend the tab for the heavy spring outward so that the lighter spring lets it advance up to about the 18-20 degree point (measured with my kid's plastic school compass), then it's got to overcome the heavier spring for the last 6-8 degrees. I only had to bend the tab outward 1/8 inch, so I'm not too far off from the curve I had, just restricted the higher-rpm advance a little more.

Initial advance is at 8 degrees (much more and it's on the edge of pinging on a hot day with the a/c on.)

It drives very well, nice throttle response at lower rpm, and it doesn't ping at all, even on hot days (95F).

That was one of the posts I referred to for sure. I have nothing down low and it comes on pretty good at the higher RPMS(3K or so). I'll mess with it some more. Pretty sure this distributor had a 10 slot but I'm not positive. I do know I didn't mess with that at all.

Ron

Back