250CID project, i need advice

grendi_250ci

Supporter 2021
i bought a L-code stang in april and now i'm at the point where most of the work that had to be done is finished and the fun part can begin.

my goal for the motor is getting 200-230PS at the flywheel.

i’m planning to get the aluminum cylinder head + advanced induction package as well as some other stuff next year, and i already have headers in my garage waiting to get installed.

do you thing spending some $ for a DUI ignition is a good idea on a stock engine, or should i wait until i get the other stuff and invest the 400-500$ on something else?

You running points now? Since you are planning on all those other upgrades I dont see any harm in buying the DUI now. You already got a start on brake upgrades? That would be the only other thing high on my list.

8) upgrading the ignition is always a good idea, whether it is the first thing you do or the last. my advice, make it the first thing you do.

i did start with upgrading or replacing security related stuff:
-power rack & pinion
-power disc brakes
-head- and taillight, flashers
-seatbelts
-suspension
-new tires
angel.gif

now it's time for the engine
devil.gif

The DUI will be a good investment no matter when you get it, but a good ignition system is a great starting point to any engine upgrade. ;)

I agree with grendi make sure you have a safe vehicle first. The ignition is a great place to start an engine upgrade.

I personally like the DSII with an MSD better than the DUI. It's an easy setup and provides multiple spark up to about 3000 rpm. You can also use rev limiter chips and incorporate boost/timing control in later if you need to.

It's also a Ford design not a Ch**y.

Which R&P did you use? Which PS Pump? Will the DUI clear your PS Pump? I'm using a DS II, with the DS I cap, because of PS Pump bracket clearance. The DS I cap is barely larger than the stock cap.

Also, is anyone else getting this when they post?

Could not insert new word matches

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1016 Can't open file: 'search_wordmatch.MYI'. (errno: 145)

INSERT INTO search_wordmatch (post_id, word_id, title_match) SELECT 407184, word_id, 0 FROM search_wordlist WHERE word_text IN ('suggest', 'upgrading', 'electronic', 'ignition', 'one', 'first', 'things', 'argue', 'dsii', 'value', 'dui')

Line : 251
File : functions_search.php

???

grendi_250ci":2apxcmq8 said:
i did start with upgrading or replacing security related stuff:
-power rack & pinion
-power disc brakes
-head- and taillight, flashers
-seatbelts
-suspension
-new tires

sounds nice, what year?

even with all the stuff you listed in your first post, i doubt you'll be close to 230. you should definately look at getting a cam while your at it. what are your plans for the bottom end?

Bort62":2apxcmq8 said:
I would argue that the DSII is a better value than the DUI, but I won't get into that here.

good idea :unsure:

yep, it's a 1969 mustang hardtop

@BIGREDRASA
randall's rack and pinion, very easy to install and works. ( http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techartic ... index.html http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarti ... index.html )

i think my custom servopump bracket should offer enough clearance for a DSII or DUI. if not, i'll make it work :)
servopump.jpg

@Patrick66
classicinlines advanced induction package always contain a cam.
i was planing to get a classI or classII cam.
200ps is the goal, 230 would be nice to have.

i read some postings on advantages and disadvantages of dsII and dui, maybe i should write that i don't want to do any drag or track racing.
i just want to get a little more power and a cool looking engine that is still reliable but not a V8 :D
switzerland has lots of mountains ;)

Bort62":3gjntkij said:

DEBUG MODE

INSERT INTO search_wordmatch (post_id, word_id, title_match) SELECT 407184, word_id, 0 FROM search_wordlist WHERE word_text IN ('suggest', 'upgrading', 'electronic', 'ignition', 'one', 'first', 'things', 'argue', 'dsii', 'value', 'dui')

???
Sure did!!

Geezer 300":1ks8wyhl said:
Bort62":1ks8wyhl said:

DEBUG MODE

???
Sure did!!
+1

I just wrote Mike a mail because the order form didn't work.

Any suggestions what spark plugs I should use with the DUI on my otherwise stock engine?

What's that Heim joint thing? Your belt tensioner?

Mike has wire sets with different colors for the DUI, BTW.

ludwig":3n6z424d said:
What's that Heim joint thing? Your belt tensioner?

Mike has wire sets with different colors for the DUI, BTW.

the tensioning of the belt is done by rotating the servo pump just like on the original bracket and the lenght of the heiser joint bar.
the heiser joint bar prevents the aluminum from bending due to the pressure of the belt.

not only the wires come in color, also the cap of the dui.... the colors of my choice were part of my mail :)

Back