Finally heard back from Clay Smith on turbo cam...

Anlushac11

1K+
VIP
Results totally not what I expected.

They recommended a 274deg dur (IIRC 224deg at .050") and .480lift cam with 110deg lobe centers. They recommended degreeing in cam at 107deg.

This is totally different from the Iskendarian cam which IIRC was about 256deg int/247deg exh advertised and .420" lift and 114deg lobe centers with 1.6 rockers.

The Clay Smith cam seems way high on duration and lift is outside log heads flow range.

If Im reading this correctly they are recommending running the cam 3deg retarded.

Not sure to make of this. The Isky cam seems too mild and the Clay Smith cam seems too wild.

The Clay Smith cam was based on data sheet I filled out so it should be good for my needs, just suprised at recommendation based on my limited cam knowledge.

8) this is a bit of a tough call as both cam grinders have been around a long time. personally i would go with the clay smith recommendation.

What is going to be your main objective with the engine,street/strip, street only, race only? How radically is it modified in conjuction with the camshaft such as compression, porting yes/no, larger valves yes/no, headers, induction...etc, what operating RPM range are you seeking also. Thanks....

I think you would want to post this in the turbo section of the forum???

Those fellows have been down this road before.

I do question the clay smith 110 lobe center. Bill

I believe both vendors are trying to sell what they have that most closely fits your application, because neither have anything specific.

You might want to get a third opinion.

If you want to spend big dollars to get the right camshaft by a professional. Call Jay Allen at camshaft innovations.
Be advised he will not give you any specs unless you purchase his product. I believe he deals with comp cams & hand picks a special profile for your application not available to someone who calls & speaks to a phone monkey.

My opinion, both cams are not right for your application??

By the way what are your engine, head, exhaust & carburetion specs???

Get some feedback from the supercharger guys. Bill

When Will (Does10s) built his first turbo 250 with the log head, we used a 274 cam, and look well it ran. I just can't remember if it was a 112 or a 110 lobe center.

George has been building motors long before most of us were born and was involved with AK Miller and Bill Strope back when they were expiermenting with turbos on the small six. So he definitely knows what he talking about. If that's what he recommends he has his reasons, and he'd be happy to explain why. Its definitely not because its what he has on hand. Grinding custom cams is their business.

On the other hand, Isky has been around a long time too. They grind all the cams for the Argentine racers. I just don't know how much experience they have with turbocharged inline sixes?

If you call Clay Smith after 3pm, you can speak directly with George about the cam selection. He's probably one of the best in the business, and will always take time to talk with you. Just make sure to do your homework first......

Personally, I'd call both..... ;)

Brain...overloading...

I will probably just go with the Clay Smith cam. My dad says it will be a good cam with turbo setup as well.

The specs are

200 Inline six
About 7.5 to 8 to 1 CR
Cast pistons (reason for boost so low)
ported and polished log with big valves
Hopefully port fuel injection, if not TBI setup with Megasquirt.
TFI Electronic Ignition
Fox body inline six exhaust manifold with catalytic can removed and adapter plate with T3 mounted to it (Well thats the plan anyways)
wastegate and blow off valve set gfor 8lbs boost.

C4 auto but will probably switch to T5 very soon
3.73 traction lock 8.8" rear
About 3200lb weight (Fox body convertible)
Stock 84 T3 turbo .48/.60
3" exhaust

Back