How to remove emulsion tubes from Weber DGV?

aribert

I am stripping down a DGV to rebuild it for my '61 Falcon. I am unable to remove the emulsion tubes. How do I remove them? Google was not my friend - or I did not use the correct search words.

I have thought of tapping the inside of the tubes and using a slide hammer but I suspect that the tubes would not function the same afterwards with the bore tapped. Another thought that I have had is to heat the carb body with a propane torch to try to expand the body and break the corrosion between the two parts but I am concerned about warping the casting. Other suggestions? BTDT?

The emulsion tubes are extremely sensitive to scratches and burrs along the inside and outside of their bodies. Thank you for not just jumping in there and yanking them out, but proceeding cautiously as you are! I would try soaking them with WD-40 or some other type of penetrating oil to help release the grip of the oxidation and other corrosion. First, try to remove all gas residue before soaking, as the gas could prohibit the WD from performing at its peak effeciency. Good luck....

My weber book says to use an "easy-out" to remove them. If your not familiar, they are used to remove sheared off bolts after you drill a pilot hole in them.

Thanks for the replys. I will pre-soak the emulsion tubes in a penetrating oil prior to trying anything more intense. I have the Haynes Weber book and did not notice anything while speed reading thru the dismantle instructions in the DGV chapter - I did look at the pictures very closely! I think my smallest easyout should just fit in the bore. Googling around (unsuccessfully) I came across a posting for removing emulsion tubes on a Quadrajet carb and that said to tap the bore of the emulsion tubes - I figured once I did this I would have to buy new tubes.

I ended up needing to use a bit of the "brute force and ignorance" method to remove the emulsion tubes. Trying not to destroy them, I chose not to use an easyout. Instead I used a 1/8 inch roll pin. I hammered the pin in a bit and then grabbed the opposite end of the pin with pliers and twisted, wiggled, pulled, etc. First attempt the roll pin came out but not the emulsion tube. Now I really wailed on hammering in the roll pin into the bore of the emulsion tube. More wiggling, twisting & pulling and the emulsion tube came free. Unfortunately I drove the roll pin in too deep and split the emulsion tube (right across where the tube is numbered - the number on the tube is now illegible!). I did not bang the roll pin into the second tube as hard and it came out OK (very small shaving on the ID that I removed by pushing the end of a letter drill (forgot the size) down down the bore to break it off. I have a 2nd core DGV so I pulled the tubes out of it to get a spare as a replacement for the one I split.

FWIW, the carb that I am rebuilding had different emulsion tubes between the primary and secondary barrels - the core had the same tube for both barrels.

Back