How do I know if I have a 144, 170 , 200, or a 250 six

JMB

I have a ford inline 6 with the block numbers that read D8BE 6015-GE but I dont know if it is a 144, 170 , 200, or a 250. I think it is from the year 1978. Does anyone know how to identify this motor? Thanks in advance.

8) if the engine is from 1978 you can rule out the 170 as it was dropped in 1972. if it has an integral intake, aka the log head, you can rule out the 300 as the 300 is a) the big six from trucks and vans, and b) it has a removable intake manifold. to tell the difference between the 200 and the 250, count the number of water pump bolts. if three then you have the 200, if four then you have the 250.

Thanks for the info. Yes , it has an integral intake, aka the log head. I will check on the water pump. Although is there no way to know through the block/engine numbers?

JMB":3sv0hvaf said:
Although is there no way to know through the block/engine numbers?
Nope...you can also tell by the location of the starter. If it is mounted low even with the oil pan bolts it will be a 250...if the starter is up higher even with the freeze plugs, then it is a 200. ;)

80 - 83 engine of the 200cid have a low mount starter according to Schjeldahl's book.

250 block is about 10 inches high measured from the oil pan rail to top of the block.

200 is about 2 inches shorter than a 250 block

Crosley":1fa4bork said:
80 - 83 engine of the 200cid have a low mount starter according to Schjeldahl's book.

Some of them. If it is a big-bellhousing with the low-mount starter, the casting number would start with E*BE-BB.

It's definitely a 200. The -GE at the end confirms. 250s had -JA and -CC, 200s ended with -GE and -FA.

I wrote a tech article on Small Six Identification, which is really very easy if you know what to look for. Below is a summary, or you can click on the link to read the entire article.

http://classicinlines.com/Ident.asp

Summary: Here's how to figure out what size the block is. Identification can be made with a quick glance at three items on the motor, the water pump, number of freeze plugs, and the block code.

250ci - has a 4 bolt water pump and 5 freeze plugs.
200ci - has a 3 bolt water pump and 5 freeze plugs.
170ci - has a 3 bolt water pump, 3 freeze plugs, and a "T" code (or no code).
144ci - has a 3 bolt water pump, 3 freeze plugs, and an "N" code.
NOTE: (late 170ci has a 5/16" distributor drive, early 170ci has a 1/4" drive)

Block codes were an attempt at a cast-on block identification system & can be found on the road draft tube-mounting boss. Block codes were in use up to 1964, or there about, then Ford switched to small metal tags that were bolted to the engine block. The block codes were as follows 144ci: "N", 170ci: "T" Note: 200/250ci (and some 170ci) engines did not have block codes, as they had the metal tags.

BlockCode.jpg

vntgtrk":1aqyjnue said:
Any truth to the rumor that the 250 shares bell housings with the SBF?

not a rumor, but a fact, yes it does share the bell housing bolt pattern with the small block ford.

rbohm":14kczjlc said:
vntgtrk":14kczjlc said:
Any truth to the rumor that the 250 shares bell housings with the SBF?

not a rumor, but a fact, yes it does share the bell housing bolt pattern with the small block ford.
Cool!!!

(Now where's that guy with the t5 for sale)..............

I'm a lill late to say "Welcome JMB" @ over 165 posts so the below may not B new info.

B "...block numbers that read..."
behind the 1st exhaust pipe from the manifold.

"...250 shares bell..."
(4 yrs. of 200/3.3?), 250, 289, 300, 302, 5 oh, 351W, 351C, and is ti the 400M?

"...80 - 83 engine of the 200cid have a low mount starter according to Schjeldahl's book...."
with AZ-coup Classic Inlines site (this forum/site's 'brother') and D&D Schjeldahl's affordable book (~$15 "Performance Handbook") you may have about all you need to get up to speed on maintained and modification of the 'falcon I6 motors' (and a good deal of the rest of your vehicle, parts, machining, companionship,expert advice...

From the post I see you have some ideas already. Will there be any suspension mods? What model is the vehicle?
Thanks.

Chad, thanks for the info. This is a '77 Granada which is literally the li'l old lady's car with 60K. 2 door with a C4. I still have a bell from a 5.0. I decided to go with a Y block in my '59 F100 instead of a 5.0 so it's waiting to be used. Suspension, if I can find some poly bushings and a rear sway bar, that will be the extent of the mods. Engine wise, probably a de-smog and a bit of tinkering with the DS11. At least to start.

Thanks for the post back.

"...a de-smog..."
keep the PCV system. Not sure bout the air pump. Does it have one?
Those observing - Should he keep that? & it's piping for durability and performance?

"...'77 Granada which is literally the li'l old lady's car with 60K..."
get some seat covers for protection - or sell all units to aficionados (over $500 depending on condition & buyer - that can go a long way toward frnt seats you'd like better or important mods U desire) .

W/that last advice it reminds me - "What will the vehicle's end goal/application be?"

If it's the '77 200/250 the motor has a lill better head ('77 - '83) than other models.
Which did you find it to be?
Ck block AND head casting numbers as things can change in 40 yrs. May B do a compression ck for peace of mind...
no matter your belief/what POs have said. U wanna B certain I assume...

Mine has the air pump and it's coming off. I'll just cut and crimp the tubes at the exh manifold. EGR? Making a blank off plate. Vacuum lines? One for the choke pull off to manifold and one to ported for the dizzy. That's it. I will shop around for an earlier exh man later. Right now brakes are eating up my car budget

Back