Drag Week - Quickest Six

AzCoupe

1K+
Departed Member
I just got my latest copy of Hot Rod. This years quickest six cylinder was an 87 Buick Regal, which ran an average of 12.59 @ 106mph. Boy, would I like to see Will and Kelly (or a couple other members) take a crack at that next year. Or maybe I'll have the 66 running in time? Sure would be fun.

The fastest average for a street car (no trailer) was 7.97 @ 187.89mph. :shock:

Mike, what was this rocket that ran a fastest average for a street car (no trailer) was 7.97 @ 187.89mph.

Yeah Will & Kelly could have blown the buick off the track @ 3/4 throttle.

For years there have been several good recipes for getting a turbo Buick into the 12's without much work, mostly stuff that you can easily do and/or undo back to stock.

Lotsa turbo guys running way faster than that, I'll bet they're razzing that car over on the turbo buick forums.

edit: But make no mistake, I'd love to see an inline Ford take the award.

Didn't say if the 87 Regal was boosted or not, but I'm assuming it was. It did say it was bone stock with the exception of alky fuel injection and drag radials.

The fastest street car was a Chevy II with a 555ci big block, boosted with twin 88mm turbos (20 lbs), and backed up by a Lenko. Didn't give any more specs. Fastest ET was 7.50 @ 187.89mph.

Best 60' time, by any vehicle, was a 1.23, didn't say by what?

Reading the article makes me wonder what a purpose built combo (tube chassis, fiberglass body, and so on) would run with a small six? All I do know for sure, is that Kelly would have kicked his A**, and turned some heads while she was at it. :D

That was for DragWeek wasn't it?
It was probably the only 6 cyl!
If they publish that as a catagory then the heavy hitter GNs and GNXs will show up! Athough we'd probably still make the magazine just because we'd be the only Inline 6 (unless a bunch of our Inliner buddies here crash the party!) ;)

No doubt though, we would've killed that 12.59 time!

Later,
Will

AzCoupe":1bqrkc4m said:
The fastest street car was a Chevy II with a 555ci big block, boosted with twin 88mm turbos (20 lbs), and backed up by a Lenko. Didn't give any more specs. Fastest ET was 7.50 @ 187.89mph.
Trailer or not - If that's a street car, my ranchero is a killer drag machine.
AzCoupe":1bqrkc4m said:
...Kelly would have kicked his A**, and turned some heads while she was at it. :D
Right on!

That would be really cool though,a lot of ford inliners show up at a big night at a drag strip and take a few spots.They wouldnt know what hit them.I think they would all be scratching their heads."what the hell thats a straight six!!"that would be great :eek:

Back