Black Alloy Air Cleaner

AzCoupe

1K+
Departed Member
I got one of the new oval air cleaners back from powder coat today. I had it painted black
to match the valve cover, and snapped a couple pics before shipping it out to the customer.
Hopefully he'll post some pics once its installed. In my opinion, they look a lot nicer than a
chrome air cleaner, but they cost a lot more too. Can't wait to see one in blue, or red.

VCAC3.jpg

VCAC1.jpg

We're also working on a drop base for improved hood clearance, and an adaptor for 1V carbs.
8x12dropbase.jpg

That does look good with the matching alloy valve cover. Nice job.

:)

Now, if you were to do up the head and that nicely ribbed intake to match as well ...

:D

That has to be a sense of pride, your head, your intake, your valve cover and your air cleaner and it looks like a piece of art, no blue blooded american could not like that.

Ya know, I didn't even think about it that way, but your right. The only thing in the pic that I didn't make,
is the carb. ;)

Here it is on a log head. It looks like it was photo-shopped, but the air cleaner is actually sitting on a
2V carb. It's just the angle of the shot that makes it look like its floating in air. The white background
doesn't help either. I'd take another shot at a different angle, but I already shipped it to the customer.
VCblk.jpg

Gene Fiore":3rwj38n4 said:
One of those air cleaners with the re-vamped drop base would look cool on my motor! ;)

Thats the same thing I was thinking....................

Bill

since you mentioned it any thoughts on a performance carb designed specifically for the six?maybe a hp single bbl with max cfm? you know just to complete the picture!! looks great and I will soon be ordering some parts!

AzCoupe":3lqqpbvq said:
The only thing in the pic that I didn't make,
is the carb. ;)

Well...not yet!

I'm thinking a 4100 clone, spreadbore design, with changeable venturi sleeves, changeable emulsifier tubes and a huge array of jets and tuneable air bleeds, dual feed lines, double-pumper configuration and sealed bearings on the shafts.

Whaddaya say?

simon":14o38jhm said:
AzCoupe":14o38jhm said:
The only thing in the pic that I didn't make,
is the carb. ;)

Well...not yet!

I'm thinking a 4100 clone, spreadbore design, with changeable venturi sleeves, changeable emulsifier tubes and a huge array of jets and tuneable air bleeds, dual feed lines, double-pumper configuration and sealed bearings on the shafts.

Whaddaya say?

I think Mike would say, " you finance it and I'll work it!" :D
Later,
Will

Speaking of 4100's, several years ago Holley had a model that was a takeoff of that design. Seems that Summit Racing has resurrected it as their own.

It combines some features of both a Holley and a 4100. It has annular boosters, adjustable floats, a 4100 style one piece top design to reduce leaks, and uses common Holley jets and parts.

sum-m08750vs_w.jpg

As I recall, they worked well and got favorable reviews at the time. I guess they didn't catch on because the 4150/4160 Holleys were so popular. This should be a lot easier to tune than a 4100.

That is tempting! Even with the higher cfm of 600 compared to 390, having the Annular Discharge is attractive.

Also, check out the length of that body. It looks shorter than the Holley, there aren't any Metering Blocks.

It looks like it would easily fit without mods’ to your cross members or the special offset adaptor plate that I had to build to install the 390 perpendicular to the block.

Its price of under $300 is also attractive.

Make you want to say, Humm?

Ric.

Looks just like the pictures I've seen of the 4010/4011 Holley made for a while...1990 through 1998. 2- piece construction and functions like the 4160/4150 from what I read. Specs are listed on the Holley Numerical Listing and Component Parts sheet.

It was marketing blunder, like the very good vac sec 2-bbl 2305, among other things. Too many irons in the fire, and no real way of leading the customer to success in the intermediate emissions era after 1983 and before the really good port EFI response of 1990.

Now, we look back on how brilliant the 2100, 2150, and 4100 Autoolite and Motorcraft carbs were, and how horrible the 4300Q, Carter TQ 9800 et al were.

Looking closely at Holley's 4010, firstly, they were very poor quality, with a heap of plastic parts which broke. There were constant issues with distortion and casting quality. They were built down to a price. Problems were common. It was sad that the take up wasn't good. Everyone in the aftermarket six and eight cylinder business in Austailia at the time said they would rather shell out for a rebuild Carter Competition AFB, as Holley were living on name, not quality. Chrysler Performance parts Bill Shaw, or Holden racer Larry Perkins said that any stock Rochester. Six and eight cylinder Ford people said the any 3310 could be rebuild to suit a V8, and that any 465 or 600cfm Vac sec could fit an I6, or any 390 cfm an I4 or V6. There wasn't the info to make the 4010 any better than David Vizard or Pat Ganarhl experienced based words.

Other factor was that the emissions EPA Nazis wouldn't let you just wack one on your 1980 2-bbl LTD. If you had a 400 Ford truck, you could just rip the crap off, and never get caught.

The 4010 often came locked into special manifolds deal without the right emissions gear. A 4180 4V HO was so good on a 302 or 351, why would you pop a non standard 4010 on a 1977 302 Mustang when later year engines went even better.

They were neither hard core like a good 4150, or as good as a 4M Q jet, nor could they replace the really awefull carbs like plastic Thermoquads or 4300G's.

Given a better quality focus, they should have a great future. The mid 80's stuff wasn't really crap, but it wasn't made like a 4150, which you could pull out of your rose garden after 20 years of no attention, and then have it running like a champ.

AzCoupe":p9qjth76 said:
I got one of the new oval air cleaners back from powder coat today. I had it painted black
to match the valve cover, and snapped a couple pics before shipping it out to the customer.
Hopefully he'll post some pics once its installed. In my opinion, they look a lot nicer than a
chrome air cleaner, but they cost a lot more too. Can't wait to see one in blue, or red.

VCAC3.jpg

VCAC1.jpg

We're also working on a drop base for improved hood clearance, and an adaptor for 1V carbs.
8x12dropbase.jpg

Looks pretty good!! 8) 8)

Do they come raw? Pricing?

Thanks,

XFlow_Fairlane":3mu4kjz0 said:
Mustang_Geezer":3mu4kjz0 said:
Looks pretty good!! 8) 8)

Do they come raw? Pricing?

Thanks,

your drag racers will do anythign to save some weight

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thats true but I was thinking that it would look a lot better to swap to that air cleaner when I go to car shows to better show off the aluminum head! ;)

I'll have to get one once Mike gets the drop base in stock.

Later,

Back