Header install in a early bronco?

kirkallen143

Famous Member
Since this section see more traffic I thought I share this with you.

First off, Mike's headers are a work of art, beautiful!
Second, they are not made for installation into a bronco without some handy work. The rear 3 exhaust tubes from the flange to the collector need a tighter bend to work with the bronco frame. The front 3 are perfect. It may be possible to cut up to the collector and re-angle the exit tube to clear, but I have not made it that far with my fabrication. The only other way I see would be to notch the frame in a 6" long section (these frames are fully boxed). I'll let you know after this weekend what happens, and a pic or two of the install.

Kirk

Well got the header finished up and installed this weekend...and no camera. I'll get some pics like I promised. Everything went good and I cleared the frame by a 1/2". I ended up cutting up to the collectors on both sides and then merged them into a "y" and out with 2 1/2" pipe. Then into a single 2 1/2"x 18" glasspack, out with dual 2" pipes with a crossover right after and out to the back of the bronco under the rear bumper.

How does it sound you ask? Does anybody remember 63DropTop's exhaust sound clip with the duals and two flowmaster 40's and a crossover pipe? It sounds just like it :shock: ! You'd think it was a V8 under the hood at idle...I LIKE IT! Nice throaty sound.

Kirk

Finally, here are those pics of the header install I promised. The last one you can see how close to the frame the collector is, but it works. I had to use regular bolts for the #6 exhaust, could not find a way to install header with starter attached.

Have a good one,

Kirk

Hey buddy, nice to see some insight on the bronco. I have a bronco ready to install a 200 cubic i pulled from a 1980 Fairmont. only had 60k so i am not planning any rebuild at the moment. Got motor stripped now of all the SMOG equip and going to replace valve/oil pan gaskets. Was actually thinking of getting a header from classic inlines. Is this one of those headers and do you think its worth the investment? Did you actually have to modify the new header any or was it just a close fit? Any more insight would be appreciated. I was going to use parts off the old 170 motor/manifold. This 200 had the converter canister on manifold so pretty much useless. Do those 2 long bolts actually come out of the existing intake manifold for aftermarket headers?
Also, what kind of upgrades do you have on your motor? Is it a 200?
My research shows mine should have the DSII ignition. I need to get a control module from somewhere or perhaps buy new cause i missed getting that part. Has the Holley 1946 on it, which i dont know if i'm going to reuse either! Hope to hear from you. Thanks

66 Bronc

Have you checked your bellhousing bolt pattern? The 80 200 should have a low mounted starter and a different bolt pattern as the pre 79 blocks.

Larry

i did not realize this bit of trivia. i have not pulled the 170 motor yet and didn't get the bellhousing w/ this 1980 200 cubic inch as someone already got the c4 auto before me. i just assumed it would work with the original 3 speed. Guess i better not get much further into this project until i figure this out. Any options if what you are saying is correct? Appreciate the insight! Wish i would have known this prior..Glad the motor was a freebee cause it sounds like it may not work for me unless i find a different trans too. Does anyone make an adaptor kit?

Back