What kind of horsepower can prepped stock rods support?

Anlushac11

1K+
VIP
I have a D8 block and I think my rods are cast iron rods.

If the rods are magnafluxed, balanced, polished, ARP rod bolts installed, and shot peened what kind of horsepower will they support?

They could probably take a lot of HP...

How much abuse will they take? Probably not as much as plain stock rods from an older block. Horsepower is not what's going to kill them though. Detonation and high rpms would be more of a concern to me.

Compression also! Its kind of a double edge sword. Like inliner said, its not the HP that gets you. But without RPM and high compression you don't make any HP....unless your boosted or nitrous! Most all Pontiac V8's used a cast rod all thru the 60's and 70's in their GTO's and TA's, some making over 400 HP from the factory. They were also raced in many forms such as dirt track and drag racing, and were very reliable with even more HP close to the 500 range. While they weren't known as real high RPM engines, they still could turn 7000 RPM, and live pretty well with the same mods you are considering....

Sorry, should have added this will be on a turbocharged 200. I am going with forged pistons and copper shim head gasket and head studs so i can run high boost.

Since I dont foresee the funds for a Aluminum head anytime soon the head will be a ported and polished big valve log head modified with a single GM 480cfm 2bbl TBI unit. Even ported and polished I dont see this engine being able to rev much over 5000rpm.

Cam is the Clay Smith 274-110 hyd.

A turbo engine is generally easier on the rods than N/A of the same or near same power. I think you'll be OK unless you get some detonation or try to hit 10's.

Back