Clay smith 274-110 cam in oz-250 2v

2v XLE

Was wondering if anyone here has used this cam in an oz 250 2v head?

I'm thinking of upgrading from a 214@0.050" crow cam 1800-4800 (280 advertised) to this 224@0.050" 1800-5600 to give be a little more top end, hopefully without sacrificing too much bottom end torque.

I'm going to use a Classic Inlines 4v inlet manifold. Toyota supra 5 speed, 3.08 lsd, and was wondering what i can expect from this cam in the bottom end? I don't think i should lose too much down low torque, but just wanted to hear some opinions. Carb will be a holley 570 street avenger.

Car is a 1150 kg ford cortina.

Cheers from oz

I want to know more about this combination! How hard is it to mate a Supra 5-speed (what year) to the Ford Motor. Is the Oz bell housing pattern different from ours Stateside?

The supra box i think is late 80's early 90's.

I've got the alloy case W55 with gear ratios of 3.57:1, 2.06:1, 1.38:1, 1.00:1, 0.85:1 and these boxes are meant to be good for well over 300hp.

IMG_0677.jpg

It's not a straight fit up at all. There are a couple companies over here that custom make these conversion kits to fit these boxes to almost any vehicle.

The main issue obviously is the bell, which is custom made, but sets us back around $500aud.

The kit basically consists of the bell, spigot bush, thrust race carrier and bearing, toyota clutch plate (toyota dyna i think) , speedo cable, tailshaft yoke, and a gearbox cross member. You need your original flywheel, clutch fork and pressure plate. Then you need a custom length tailshaft.

It isn't cheap. To buy the kit new, you need around $1100-$1200AUD plus your standard ford gear and tailshaft. I found a kit on ebay brand new for $500 so I'm laughing. You also need around $800AUD here for a reconditioned box.

http://www.rodshop.com.au

http://www.dellowauto.com.au/

The t5 gets used here in a lot of falcons, but the cortina has a shorter transmission tunnel, and the t5 wont go in without some chop chop work, and then the need to move the handbrake back because it fouls reverse. I didn't want to do any chop chop work, then i couldn't move my handbrake either because its incorporated into the console. The supra box comes with an adjustable shifter position, and the one i need to use (not the one in the picture) pops right up though the original cortina shifter hole :D

So for me, this will be easier. and not that much more expensive cos i'm using s/hand (but never used) bits. Plus, I like these ratios a bit better, and plus again, the alloy box only weighs 33kgs. So from changing from the auto BW35, i'm going to lose 35 kgs straight up ;)

Back