Block decking

Quick 8

Does anyone know if there is a limit to how much the 200 block can be decked and still have the stock pushrods work with the stock style adjustable valves?

I still need to make my final decision, but it looks like I am going to need to deck my block between .028-.035 to end up at my desired compression ratios.

The only thing that could change this is that I am still waiting to get my final combustion chamber sizes on my aluminum head after valve deshrouding.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
-Jim

Many people incorrectly assume that even unmachined stock blocks and heads come from the factory with acceptable valve train geometry. When in fact, they have a +/- tolerance for manufacturing like all other components. So, any time you have to cut a block or head a considerable amount for a rebuild, its always a good idea to check the geometry, and verify that you have the correct placement of the rocker tip on top of the valve stem, and check it thru the entire opening and closing cycle of the cam on both the intake and exhaust valves.

Jim,I decked an '82 200 block .040" to get the pistons .005" out of the holes for good quench. The early style stock adjustable rockers and pushrods worked just fine.

I had the shop take 0.030 off my block to get a "zero" deck height. I also had abotuthe same removed from the head to get the CR I wanted. Use the adjustabel rocker arms w/o any problems.

just as another input of info

we cut .020 or it was .025 off the deck of my block to have the pistons .005 in the hole.

Milled the head .050

I use OE adjustable rockers and the push rods I bought from Mike at Classic

Back