How do I get correct firinng order with the DUI

JMB

I am installing the DUI distributor on my 200 inline 6 to replace my stock one.
My question is:

1) How do I install the new spark plug wires on the DUI cap with the correct firing order? Cuz my old distributor cap had numbers on the it which made it easy but the DUI cap has no numbers at all.

2) What spark plug do I use? The spark plug I bought is the G-Power NGK WR5GP 2901 (Platinum Plug). But I could still exhange them if you guys recomend somthing different.

The reason I ask this is because a local mechanic told me not to put Platinum Plugs on this engine cuz they were never designed for it and that this engine does not work well with it.
He said the regular Autolite or Motorcraft (none Platinum) plugs will work better.

Is this true? Thanks in advance.

They dont have numbers on the cap because any pin can be set at number one. I put mine in about a year ago, all you do is set TDC on #1 cylinder line the cap up with the dizzy rotor so its real close to the pin u want and set the firing order by arranging the wires. Thats all there is to it as far as setting up. Plug wise, its just a difference of opinion. I run OEM in mine and it runs perfectly fine.

As marine05 stated get cylinder 1 to tdc. A compression guage is handy for this. If you don't have one pull the plug from cylinder 1(this is the cylinder at the front of the engine) and bump the starter untill you feel a bunch of air blow out. Then arrainge the rest of the wires accordingly. A chiltons of haynes manual is great for this or you can find the firing order stamped on the head(don't recall what it is off the top of my head).

As far as plugs...I'm using autolites gapped at 50

Just makes sure you have 12 volts going to the distributer.

firingorder.jpg

There's really an infinite number of spots you can get the distributor to fall into the engine with. Many people install them so they can have movement for timing settings so the vacuum advance will not interfere with the block or anything before the desired timing setting is reached. You can make any one of the terminals on the cap #1, provided the dizzy it installed in the correct firing cycle. Most people have a preference as to why they position them the way they do. The first pic you showed, has the plug wires routed much neater, than in the second one, some people do it for that reason....perhaps! Some people just like to be different....As long as you have the dizzy in time, and you can set the timing correctly, it really doesn't matter.

Well said dude... I have mine set like Azcoupes because thats the only way I could get the cam to engage without it running the vac adv into the block like he said. But most of all it just depends how clean you want the motor to look and how you get the timing to engage it properly.

Back