Tired of comments about my 6 cyl 65 Fastback need help !!

challenger6

Im new here guys, so bear with me. I have a 65 Fastback Mustang with only 11880 original miles. Engine is a sweet little 200 - 6 . It just scored 98 points in a concours Mustang show recently. I love EVERYTHING about it. When Im not showing it, Im working on my 62 Fairlane street/strip car. What I am leading to it this: I get sick and tired of people walking up to my 65 and commenting on it being a 6 cyl car. I usually ask them where there under 12k mile fastback is? Since im finishing up on my 62 Fairlane, Im really considering selling all of my Windsor parts to build a 6 cylinder. I know the pros and cons mostly, but I really think that I am tired of the same old thing. My goals for a 6 would be high. Would a goal of 12.5's be too high for a 250 build. A close friend does my machine work for me, and this has allowed me to learn to do most of my cylinder head work. Point me in the right direction. A turbo is possible too, I just am not super familiar with these engines. Ive read here a LOT in the last day or so and really like the attitude of this site. Thanks and ANY help will be appreciated-----Lee

Contact Mike at Classic Inlines and price his 250 2V Aussie setup he had posted on Ebay. Add a small turbo and shake well. :LOL:

You can also price an aluminum head setup. I think you would more than pleased with the Aussie setup if he still has it.

Just remember, there is only one person who realy has to be happy with you car and that is you. 8)

12's are not a problem with a turbo...Linc hit in the 13's with the stock carb. And Does10's is in the...10's.

8) tell them if you wanted a V8 you would have gotten a V8. 12's with a 250 can be done though. talk to does10s about what he did to get his car into the 10's. he is a wealth of information in that regard.

Yep I feel your pain.
We use to show a 69 mach I 89,000 mile daily driver car.
We showed it as a Daily driver as that is what it was, it was my only car.
I was up aganst show cars that came out on nice days in the summer and maby saw 400 miles a year. I got tired of people always saying my car looked like it just came in off the street.... Well it did, I thougth thats what a daily driver class was. Anyhow we dont show any mustang shows any more, we hit the local town car shows with the wifes vert and my old drag car. Lot more fun, lots more people.

I would not do a thing to your show car, some cars need to stay stock so the rest of us know what they look like and what goes where and what color it is. Sounds like a dam nice car, keep showing it, just keep the hood shut, 99% of the people will never fingure it out.

As for something diffrent, I say go for it, drag out a 250 and hit the strip, I woul like to have a nice 1961 2 door falcon with air ride and 18's with a shaved body and a turbo 200 and a nice C-4 with a trans brake/line lock just for fun.

Thanks for the info guys. Im listing some of my windsor parts for sale now. Im planning on calling classic inlines tomorrow.

I would think that an inline fastback was the coolest car in the show. Everyone has a V8. Only some have a six.

I'd like to see it.

I feel your "rejection" by the unknowing and unwashed idiots out there. I used to road race Pintos and before that Fiats because they were different from the masses. Just remember this, common knowledge is all but common. Keep the car a 6, you have a piece of history to be proud of (98% in a councours sounds pretty damn good to me), and with a little work can beat all the others bent engines in fuel economy. At car shows, I always gravitate to those that mean something to me - like falcons and inline sixes and the stray Packard or AMX. Just walk proud knowing that you have what pleases you.

I agree with the others if your fastback scored that high as a concourse car DON't touch it!!Put a hot 250 in the fairlane maybe with fuel injection and one of Mikes heads and a hot cam keep the car looking period correct as a drag car for the time and sit back and enjoy :D Once the car gets noticed by some old timers game on you'll get instant respect from those who remember and the younger crowd as well.Sorry to go off but if you could spend a day with Does10's you would know what I mean. Welcome and keep us posted.OBTW for some stuff check here;
http://www.critesrestoration.com/who.htm

Dont worry. I would never change my 65 Fastback at all. I was just considering going with a 6 in my 62 Fairlane. The car is almost finished now. I just want to show all of these knuckle heads something. Thanks again for the good words guys.

a 250 with a worked bottom end, an oz or CI aluminium head, should see you into the 13's, then add a power added or your choice with the right cam and 12.5 city.

Mike at CI, and Does10's here on the board along with a few others have some rocking fast 200's and 250's.

FrenchTownFlyer had an old 6 in a rail and someone here, i forget who, had a old built mustang with a turbo that was crazy fast.

I'd love to get my hands on a fastback like yours. I think your right when you ask them where their 98% <11k fastback is :p Hell most of them got chopped up for "Elanore" clones after the remack of gone in 60 seconds came out.

I get sick and tired of people walking up to my 65 and commenting on it being a 6 cyl car.... ... a 250 build. A close friend does my machine work for me, and this has allowed me to learn to do most of my cylinder head work. ... .. and ANY help will be appreciated-----Lee

I looked at a beautiful, '65 Fastback - Six/Dagenham 4Spd at Rhinebeck for sale. The seller was a shop in Jersey. I was very interested but the purchase of the car went with contract to have his shop "Convert it " to ...

I always let them know there were two six cars for each V8 'Stang and Ford would never have built Original V8 cars without the Original sixes.

Reasonable performance with the six can be easily achieved with each subsequent increase depending on your intereset and resources ($ 8) ).

I hope you can keep it simple and fun with such a nice car.

Powerband

Here's a performance built 250 in a low miles '61 Comet:

ENGINERADFROMFRTRT.jpg

i would do the three carb and aluminum valve cover thing to the mustang using a late seventies head.that will draw attention and you can return to stock easily.

When people make a smart remark about my 6 cyl in my Mustang I reply with one of two comments
1) If you buy me all the stuff to change it over to a v8 the right way, I'll do it. So far I havent found anyone willing to do that.
2)I tell them my d*&$ is big enough and I'm not worried about it.
One of those two comments are guaranteed to shut them up.

V8 mentality! Same problem with C___ vs Ford rhetoric. It has gone on for so long now that no one can really say how it started.

It is always the same discussion. "Now why would you put all of that money into a 6 when you could have had an 8".

"When you go to change that 6 out, let me know and I can help you".

etc, etc, etc.

I actually told one guy at a local corner show, "You should change out your V8 to a six". This was after he came over to a 6 banger and started the usual verbage. The look on his face should have been recorded and posted.

Ya when people ask me when we're going to put a V8 in Kelly's car I usually just say, "Why would we want to go slower?"

Later,
Will

Welcome to FSP

Does10s":uz6rzkud said:
"Why would we want to go slower?"

Some day i'll be able to say that too :D

I think the six looks sexy, i mean how many engine's can get 200 hp and 230 ft lbs of torque @ 27mpg? without a turbo or boost... some day i'll have a mustang convert that's decked out with a 6 cyl :)

BTW there is a guy here in AZ that also has an original 60's fastback with a factory 6cyl... looks sick and well maintained... i agree don't touch it... but find a light car to modify a 6cyl so you can race them if they want to talk smack... ;)

Keep'n it Six,
Richard

early ford fan":1td6z2mo said:
i would do the three carb and aluminum valve cover thing to the mustang using a late seventies head.that will draw attention and you can return to stock easily.

totaly agree

dagenham":1td6z2mo said:
1) If you buy me all the stuff to change it over to a v8 the right way, I'll do it. So far I havent found anyone willing to do that.

it would have been cheaper to swap my 250cid I6 for a V8 then what i'm doing now, but then my car would be just another Mustang with a V8.

Back