Why install an Electric Fan?

GrantD

I've noticed that a number of you are running electric fans in place in of the mechanical ones and I'm wondering what benefits you're finding in doing so.

I have a 1980 mustang and the mechanical one seems to be louder than the motor and exhaust put together. I'm wondering if an electric one would make much of a difference for noise, and what effect it would have on cooling?

Is it difficult to remove the mechanical one that's on there?, I haven't taken too close of a look at it.

Some people dont like them and dont want to reply on them.

Some people like them and the benefits.

I like them and am used to them. I drive Fox body Mustangs and have had electric fans on my 4cyl Mustangs since 1986.

Electric fans can be mounted in front of the radiator to free up some room betwen radiator and the water pump.

Electric fans do no create drag on the engine so you usually free up a few horsepower.

You can wire in a thermostatic switch so the fan only comes on when needed.

GrantD":2cwp16re said:
I've noticed that a number of you are running electric fans in place in of the mechanical ones and I'm wondering what benefits you're finding in doing so.

I have a 1980 mustang and the mechanical one seems to be louder than the motor and exhaust put together. I'm wondering if an electric one would make much of a difference for noise, and what effect it would have on cooling?

Is it difficult to remove the mechanical one that's on there?, I haven't taken too close of a look at it.

Generally speaking a thermostatically controlled electric fan uses less horsepower on the highway and and cools your engine better in stop and go traffic where you really need it. It's often quieter, too, because it only runs when the engine temperature is high enough to require it.

Removing the mechanical fan probably involves nothing more than the following.

1. Loosen the fan belts.
2. Undo the 4 bolts holding the fan and the water pump pulley to the front of the water pump.
3. Remove the fan, leave the pulley.
4. Replace the 4 bolts, possibly adding an additional washer on each bolt to take the place of the fan.
5. Retighten the fan belts.

(I'm sure somebody will jump in to correct me if I have that wrong, by the way.)

:)

Where did you source your electric fan, was it a different oem application or was it aftermarket? What about shrouding? original radiator?

Is there any advantage to push or pull applications? They're being sold one way or the other which seems odd as it's a polarity change to spin it the other way.

Thanks for the help so far.

Grant

I just put one on my 67 and I love it so far. The one I got was from ProComp and it is either a push or pull. Came with a thermostatic controller, wiring, relay, everything you need to set up and only $57. 16"X17" and it pushes 1400 CFM, which is plenty for my 3 core stock radiator.
It got rid of that noisy stock 6 blade job and I put in an override switch just in case I need the extra cooling power.
Making a post soon of the install with pics.

Any one out there put one on a 61 Ranch?...I've thought about putting one on mine but the fan and pulley are so close to the radiator that I don't think one will fit...as it was, I had to trim the center bar that supports the hood latch just for a aux. trans cooler...is there a fan slim enough to fit between the pulley and rad?...the only other option would be to mount 2 smaller one kitty corner from each other which should clear the water pump pulley.

Dave 8)

I am probably going to fit a pusher on mine...due to the 3-core radiator, the stock fan will not fit. Going fanless is fine in the winter and spring, not so much in summer traffic.

That is exactly what I did. I upgraded my original 2 core to a 3 core and when I tried to put it in as a puller, the bolts that hold the pulley on just barely hit the motor. So I ripped apart the front end and installed it as a pusher.

CIMG0368.jpg

Fits perfectly and doesnt efect the front support at all.
CIMG0377.jpg

After all is said and done, I am happy with my new fan and it works well. I think I might change out the 190degree thermostatic controler to a lesser degree though.

Thats a really nice looking install, I found what I believe to be their site but I'm not finding any evidence that the fans are selling with the electronics. How long ago did you buy it? Do you think you could help me out with a link?

Thanks,

Grant

I bought it off of Feebay. Check out this seller, he usually has pretty good prices. I think I am going to buy my electric fuel pump from him also.
northcoastperf
Should be able to type his user name into the search bar and pull up all his auctions.

Here is an auction of his for the fan:
Electric fan
And the auction for the relay kit:
Relay kit
And the sensor kit:
Probe kit

I dont see that he sells them as a whole unit now.
I hope this helps you out.

~Ben

Back