more changes to the engine

Crosley

Famous Member
VIP
I took the head off my 200cid in the 1962 falcon.

direct mount 2 barrel is in the works. I May mill the head a bit more

falconheadoff-02.jpg

falconsmokestires.jpg

The race to the 15's has started... who'll get there 1st, Gene or Crosley? :D
P. S. AZCoupe ya need to get one of yours rollin to get in the mix here!

The race is on!! Though Crosley will probably get there first...I think my build is going to take a while...I've got a few tricks up my sleeve... ;)

well,

I could bolt on an aluminum head to put the car into the 15's easily. :LOL: Although I am a bit short on the cubic inches with this engine.

The $$ budget does not allow an aluminum cylinder head. So, I will beat the ol D7 log head to death and see what happens.

I am gonna pull out the end cup plugs on the log head and see what I can massage inside there.

:shock:

Crosley, aint nuthin wrong with doin' it old school either :D
Maybe somewhere down the road we can get Myself, Does10s', Gene, yourself, aahsac, Vin Man, KuKm66, MPGstang? & AZCoupe together with our cars for a lil fun at the strip.

Crosley":2hwe4i9l said:
The $$ budget does not allow an aluminum cylinder head. So, I will beat the ol D7 log head to death and see what happens.
:shock:
I'm where you are $$ wise. The aluminum head is going to have to wait until next year. So like Rich says, we'll both just be doing it "old school" until then. ;)

A photo update as I started to mill the log head top area flat for the 2 barrel adapter program:

I have more work finished on the head but will keep that secret .. :D

falconhead-mill01-1.jpg

the down side of this for me is my mpg might go down... but then again so would my 1/4 time :eek:

Looks Great, hey i'm in AZ too... when ya'll going to the strip? (i'll be the control) :LOL:

keeping it inline,
Richard

MPG, Look for an announcement coming soon for a special event Laborday weekend, I know it's a holiday weekend but If you are a fan of the good ol days of drag racing come join us @ Speedworld. 8)

Crosley said:
A photo update as I started to mill the log head top area flat for the 2 barrel adapter program:

I have more work finished on the head but will keep that secret .. :D

id like to see more pics as you mount the carb mount.

Tony,
Other then the current head work, what did you do to the 200 to get your Falcon into the 16.32 @ 83.09?
Thanks,
Ken

Ken Thompson":2tfcfo1y said:
Tony,
Other then the current head work, what did you do to the 200 to get your Falcon into the 16.32 @ 83.09?
Thanks,
Ken

A basic rebuild of the 1978 engine... the cast pistons with small dish can be seen in the photos. Piston are .030 over bore.

ARP bolts and studs in the bottom end = rods - crank mains from Classic inlines

Balance on the parts was done

Camshaft from Classic Inlines = 274 hyd cam with HP gears and chain. OEM adjustable rocker arms with push rods from Classic Inlines

Deck was milled down about .020 - .025 so piston tops are barely in the holes at TDC

A D7 Log head is milled .050 , valve job , bowl areas under the valves cleaned up = ported slightly. All ports were cleaned out lightly , no major port work performed

Center exhaust port divider installed, ported some too so ports match visual inspection.

The Falcon has 4.11 gears in 8 inch Ford differential.. C4 trans , full manual shift, stall speed converter does about 2400 in gear, brakes on. A 215R - 60 x 15 tire is used on the back. I may try a 195R - 60 x 15 tire which is shorter height

Currently the engine needs more gear In my opinion. Trap RPM in 1/4 mile is under 5k... if this 2 barrel direct mount allows the engine to RPM higher and pull harder at the 3/4 track the 4.11 gear may be fine.

The DSII dizzy is bone stock advance now With Accel Digital 300+ box and coil .. rev limiter set at 6250. Vacuum is unhooked from the dizzy.

8)

it has been a while and I have not much progress on the head re-work due to life getting in the way.

Today , I did buy the chunk of aluminum plate I need to build my carb adapter for the 2 barrel carb direct mount setup.

From Davis Salvage in Phoenix I bought a piece large enough I can get three adapters out of if I screw up.

aluminumcarbplate01.jpg

so the manifolds not wide enough to direct mount it?and btw why do none of the racers use the three carb setup?i know its hard to set up,but the even fuel distribution should be worth it.

Crosley":2bwyvwyf said:
it has been a while and I have not much progress on the head re-work due to life getting in the way.

Today , I did buy the chunk of aluminum plate I need to build my carb adapter for the 2 barrel carb direct mount setup.

From Davis Salvage in Phoenix I bought a piece large enough I can get three adapters out of if I screw up.

aluminumcarbplate01.jpg

:) We've all been there!

Back