bad oil filter???

pedal2themetal45

Famous Member
HI All
I changed my oil a bout 3 weeks ago..
5 qts of Valvolean 10/40 dura blend
napa 1515 gold oil filter
every thing was fine for the first week or so .. I check it and its still full.... but when I start it after its been sitting over night or 8hrs here at work it rattles real bad and the oil light is on for what seams like a long time. I was just about ready to shut if off today it tood so long. Is it a bad anti-back flow valve in the filter?? or what??
thanks tim

A bad oil filter is a good possibility. For all the more it would cost to replace the filter and the little bit of oil you will lose it is worth a try. I prefer Motorcraft filters over some store brand. Yes there are differences.
I quit using fram filters bcause of that problem.
My engine rattles a bit on startup also, but then quiets down.

The Napa Golds are (or at least the one I bought a few months ago) are made by WIX so they should be very good filters but a bad one is always possible. The check valves are fairly recent additions to filters. They became common with OHC engines and now seem to be in just about everything just because they can.

Is that the same oil you usually use? And the same ambient temps you usually use this oil in?

Like the others said trying a new filter is a cheap way to eliminate it as the probelm

HI
well it is differeent oil I had been using regular oil and decided to switch to a blended oil.. and I had been using Fram but I had switch back and forth between Napa and Fram filters.. I guess I'll see if they have a better filter or get another one..
Thanks
tim

If you switched to a blended oil did you get something with the same viscosity or did you change that also?? Is the engine all stock or modified, and how many miles are on it??
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not a fan of synthetics of any kind in the older engines like these. I've seen them cause valvetrain problems on more than one occasion.

I've had bad filters from Napa before. Had one that weeped oil on the driveway. I HATE oil leaks. Anyways, wiped it off, and watched it as the bead of oil formed right where they crimp the screw part to the can. Pulled it off, went with a Fram and nary a problem. I suppose you could have gotten a bad one. I've never seen this problem before but then again......

I've rarely seen bad WIX. but strong pricing pressure to cut costs anyway they can so who knows if thats still true. Fram 30 or 40 years ago made good oil filters, now its all hype based on that old reputation. Heard some new car warranties are void now if they find you used a fram oil filter. Dont know that for absolute fact but sounds about right. Probably WIX, top of line Purolator, and Motorcraft are ones to go for that are mass marketted. If you can find them Baldwin, Donaldson, and german made Mann filters are as good or better. Its amazing what name brand products are just names and paint job slapped on same minimalist product from China anymore.

OK its the same weight oil just the blended type..
Question .... would the blended oil effect the drain back valve? like effect the rubber??
I think I well try a second filter but if it does it again I'll change out the oil back to regular oil same weight..
I might have to go to single weight...
OH the motor is like a 66 200 cu. block been rebuilt .30 over Newer 250 cu. head milled .60 .. Can't remember how long I've had it running 2years maybe a little more ... don't know the miles I've put on it as the speedometer has not worked sence day 1.. (too lazy to fix it LOL..). I drive it evry day at least 18 miles a day round trip to work. But I know theres more than that as I drive a lot
Thanks
Tim

Im running napa and wix 1515's on my mustang and my dodge. I put enough miles on the dodge to have to change it almost monthly and have not had any issues with synthetic, regular, or the blends.

pedal2themetal45":3pxzj33r said:
Question .... would the blended oil effect the drain back valve? like effect the rubber??....

Nope.

You just got unlucky and found a bad filter :devilish: Napa Gold/Wix are top quality brands but everyone has a bad day.

Oil filters are the most over-rated, hyped up, over-advertised gadgets ever foisted upon the motoring public. Just try a different filter, your problem will almost certainly disappear. Or you could get an adapter that holds the filter vertically so the oil cannot drain out even if the anti-drainback valve goes bad.
Joe

I suggest backing off to a 10w-30 or even 5w-30 oil since you are located in a bit colder climate and making those 9 mile one-way trips.

If there was any possibility of a bad anti drain back valve seems like a new oil filter and 10 minutes of work is quick and easy insurance.

Way back in the day when I was assistant manager of a auto parts store there was a big deal about manufacturers canceling your warranty for using non factory filters and such.

Some act whose name now escapes me said that if the product used was made to or exceeded manufacturers standards then the product could not be used as a excuse to void your warranty.

I will never use a Fram oil filter again! Last year while changing my oil on a 2001 GM car that I own, the entire oil filter had basically disintergrated! It is a paper-type filter that fits inside of a metal cannister; not your typical "metal-type oil filter" like on our Ford Inlines. The paper filter had stayed in one piece, until I tried to remove it, and then it just disintergrated into small little pieces. Fortunately the filter had not broke up into pieces and spread throughout my engine block (plugging up everything), until I actually touched the paper/cardboard filter; but it could have just as easily broke up into pieces prior to me changing my oil. After seeing that, I swore that I would never use another Fram oil filter.

I like the HP filters. They all have anti drain back features and a heavy case. However, they are expensive. Go to the parts store and have them pull a Motorcraft FL1HP and a FL1 and compare.

We used them on dirt cars alot. The can is thicker. It will hold 110 psi which isn't needed, but a rock will not damage it as easily.

Back