Maverick 250 carb options

hotrodbob

Those of you that have a Maverick with a 250, please tell me what carb or carbs you run that still clear the hood.

I've got a direct mount Holley 2bbl. I also had to modify the motor mount brackets that mount to the frame. I lenghtened the slots, which lowered the engine about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. This allowed me to use an 83 Mustang 5.0 air cleaner. I hope this helps.
Ken

That does help. How did that effect driveline vibration? I never thought about dointhe mount mod.. That's a good idea. Now ya got me thinking. maybe the 3x1 carb set up would fit if I do that...

Thanks!!!

I haven't noticed any vibration, the car seems to drive fine.

Howdy Back Bob & ken:

We've done the motormount slot drop for years with no adverse effect. Think about it. If you can drop the engine 1/2" at the motor mounts, the rear pivot point is the trans mount- way at the back. That half inch at the front would be equal to a very small amount at the tailshaft. I doubt that the angle would change more than 1 degree. U-joints can easily compensate for that small amount.

Bob- another thought is to keep all carb to head adapters and gaskets as thin as possible. I ended up cutting my black plastic spacer to the minimum thickness needed for linkage clearance.

Adios, David

Thanks David. You always have great answers.

Off topic, but the 200 you guided me through a few years ago was a real strong runner. With a T5 it was faster the my friends 289 '65 Mustang stop light to stop light and on a long freeway on ramp he was not even close.

Thanks

Back