Will race prepped factory forged rods handle 300hp and 6000?

Anlushac11

1K+
VIP
Found some 170/200 rods that have a 1963 P/N so they should be forged.

I was thinking of getting these, running my ARP rod bolts, and polishing beam , and getting nitrided.

These will go in a built up 200 with forged pistons and running a turbo.

Will these rods handle 300+hp and 6000rpm? Plan on running 20lbs boost.

Or would I be better off trying to get some aftermarket forged rods? Not sure I can really afford custom rods but maybe late in May.

Thanks,

Mark

I would price the full prep and compare that with a new aftermarket set.

Grind, polish, shotpeen, bushings, bolts and build. If all is done by a top notch shop, aftermarket rods start to have more appeal.

If you do go with stock rods, keep the pistons as light as possible.

8) your set up should do just what you want without issue. 300hp and 6k rpm really isnt that much for a factory rod regardless of engine.

Just my .02$, I trust the forged factory rods just as much as a set of after market I -beams. I just want to believe that the Ford rods from 63 are up to par with some 2009 Chinamans. I have seen a set of prepped 289 rods turn WAY more than 6 grand. Close to 8500 for 3 seasons now.

Crosley":pt8g1i1n said:
20 pounds of boost will turn those rods into wiggly plastic looking toys.
Ditto....its not the RPM or the HP level that would concern me as much as the boost level. Just look back at the photos of Does10s engine failure, and that might change your mind, he has now upgraded to some Manley steel rods. I'm not saying that was the cause of his problem either, but you just never know how long a stock rod will live in that type of application. One thing is certain, a stock rod will probably last some amount of time .....how long is any body's guess.

Guess Im gonna have to crank down the boost.

Most everyone I talked to about custom rods for a 200 said no because the rods were too short to work with their billets.

Cunningham so far who said they could make a set of rods...for $1350.00 for a set of six.

I think I will get the forged rods, race prep them, and make do with less boost.

I would say a better question would be why would you need 20lbs of boost to make 300hp?

Properly size you turbo and you should not need that much boost.

rommaster2":2dmc5ooj said:
I would say a better question would be why would you need 20lbs of boost to make 300hp?

Properly size you turbo and you should not need that much boost.

You got a better idea to get 300hp from a head that flows at best about 150cfm on the intake side and 120cfm on the exhaust side Im all ears.

rommaster is right. I don't know how many times I have to go over this. But if you use any of the late model heads with CIs port flow 1 3/4" intake, 1 1/2" exhaust valves both back cut 30 degrees with pocket porting (be careful not to screw up the short side radius) there is some wrong internet advice about this. Get your information from a reputible book. Forget all this hogging out the log crap. Not necessary. Port EFI will fix the fuel distribution problems if you do these mods and cam it properly, you won't need a lot of these other glitzy parts. You should be able to make 300 hp with less than 15 lbs boost. Yes, the new aluminum head is great. Get one if you can.

Now to get back on topic. I'll go over my experience with the C3 rods. When I took my first turbo engine to the drag strip (wanting to make a good showing because my peers were laughing at my 6) without properly checking my tuneup on the first pass I just put my foot to the floor and let her have it. Looked at my boost gauge, I had 26 lbs in first gear, made some funny noises, I backed off the throttle some and legged it on through. After the run, I pulled out the spark plugs and checked the pistons. 2 and 5 would not come anywhere near top dead center. The rods were bent like an S, but not broke. Eventually I found out the problem was too small of a turbine housing overpowering the too small wastegate. I could not adjust boost down. Also, the main problem was the MSD pick up wires I ran too close to the electric water pump wires and were randomly firing the ignition causing severe pre-ignition detonation. The excessive pressure bent the rods. The other 4 rods looked fine. So I guess what I'm saying here is, if you watch your tune up, I think the C3 rods should be fine to about 350 hp. Maybe more, who knows? I changed to aluminum rods so I can't give you a long history on the C3s underboost.

We ran Kelly's car on D8 rods for three years without a single issue. Most of that time at 17lbs. of boost.

The last motor had the conditioned C9 rods. You all saw the pics of those!

I can't say that a rod broke first on that engine. I would guess that we had cyl. wall failure that caused the rods to snap.

Remember we're running a 250. Our rods are 5.88" long.
Our new Manley's are 5.93" long.

At 300hp levels with a turbo, a stock rod will probably last a pretty long time. I don't have any experience with a C3 rod. Too short for a 250! ;)
Obviously a H or I beam rod will be stonger and probably lighter, but they aren't cheap!
Later,
Will

Back