200cid Dyno 4/13/2009

80Stang

We dynoed a 203cid today for my customer. This is a late block with late E0 production iron head. The head is the one I ported for my own buildups a few years ago (GEN2 engine, specs at my website), except I changed the back-cut exhaust valves to un-cut new ones. The head and block were milled to achieve a 10.3 static CR with 2.3L HSC pistons and a very tight squench.

203cid (overbore +.030)
CSC/CI 274/110 cam
Holley 350 2V (optimum jets: 58)
CI "vintage" dual out header
Duraspark + MSD ignition

176hp @ 5500
245Nm @ 5000

The torque curve is very flat with 211Nm at 2000 (we measured from 2000 to 5600), which was the lowest value.

http://www.tuumacid.com/pieces/L6dyno1.jpg
http://www.tuumacid.com/pieces/L6dyno2.jpg

Got videos but they are some 15-25MB each...

Dang, its amazing to me what sort of power even the iron heads can put out naturally aspirated in terms of torque and HP. Seems that porting and the direct mount two barrel make a world of difference.

80stang,
What type of head is the E0 head, Log, crossflow? Also what octane fuel are you using?
Thanks,
Ken

That pretty respectable for naturally aspirated.

1984 Mustang SVO made 175hp @5000rpm and 210ft lbs at 3000rpm in a almost 3000lb chassis.

Ken Thompson":ukjxkj8n said:
80stang,
What type of head is the E0 head, Log, crossflow? Also what octane fuel are you using?
Thanks,
Ken

E0 log head as I wrote and you can see in the pics.

The fuel ratings here are 95E and 98E, which I suppose are pretty close to regular and premium in the US. We ran this engine with 98E, although Shell deliveres the V-Power (99 octane rated) too which really is a tad better than 98E.

BTW, 35 degrees of total advance was enough for the engine.

80Stang":23o8qn1o said:
Ken Thompson":23o8qn1o said:
80stang,
Thanks,
Ken

E0 log head as I wrote and you can see in the pics.

The fuel ratings here are 95E and 98E, which I suppose are pretty close to regular and premium in the US. We ran this engine with 98E, although Shell deliveres the V-Power (99 octane rated) too which really is a tad better than 98E.

BTW, 35 degrees of total advance was enough for the engine.

Where I live in Indianapolis 87 octane is regular and 91 octane is premium, sometimes I can find 93 octane.

They rate the fuel differently in Europe. In the US, they take an average of the RON/MON number, but in Europe they only use the higher RON number, which averages 5-8 points more.

I spec'd out an engine build for a customer a few weeks ago, basically using the same set up. He ask what kind of power he could expect, and I told him right around 175HP. Not a bad guess.... Thanks for sharing the info, I'll add it to the "Dyno Room". ;)

I have heard several times on this forum the mention of using 2.3L HSC pistons. What are they, where do you get them, and are these hypereutectic pistons?

Gene Fiore":122ld3i6 said:
I have heard several times on this forum the mention of using 2.3L HSC pistons. What are they, where do you get them, and are these hypereutectic pistons?

HSC refers to the 2.3L four cylinder engine in tempos and the like
i believe HSC stands for High Swirl Combustion

dunno 'bout forged or hyper or whatnot, i do know that it's one of the upgrades that has been around the longest

While the 144ci and 170ci engines (3.50 bore) came with flat top pistons, all 200ci and 250ci engines (3.68 bore) came with dished pistons. The dish size varied from 7cc for pre ’72 engines, to 13cc in ’72-‘83 engines. However, you can also use flat top pistons from a 141ci four-cylinder Tempo HSC, as they have the same bore and compression height as the 200/250ci engines. For the 250ci you can use 255ci V8 pistons as well, which have a compression height of 1.585â€￾ verses 1.500â€￾ for stock pistons. This will raise the piston .085â€￾ higher in the cylinder, which would be the same as decking the block the same amount.
I have them in stock, all sizes. They are a stock cast piston.
http://classicinlines.com/proddetail.as ... D200%2DCPF

Gene Fiore":29kvblqf said:

Cast pistons. There was a Tempo HO sold but no real engine changes that I am aware of.

The 2.3L HSC motor is basically a cam in block OHV 4cyl based on the original tooling of the 200 inline six. The motor was used in Temo/Topaz, Taurus, Sable, and some Aerostar vans.

Back