Valve springs to match cam

250coupe

ive read that using 289/302 valve springs is best when running a bigger cam, could i use inline six valve spings from comp cams they are rated at 280lb, i plan on using a 264 single pattern cam in my 250. i believe they are single spring. the valve springs i was looking at are made to match the 260 cam they make for the 250I6.

Is it a hydraulic or solid/mechanical lift cam. A spring rate of 280 lbs. is too much for a hydraulic cam, and most solid lift cams as well. I think you need to double check your #'s again.... If you have a cam card, it will tell you everything you need to know for spring installed hgt. and valve lash and everything else for your cam.

I believe the clay smith 264 cam uses these springs. CSC-200-SST
They are rated 80# seat pressure.

Spring pressure all depends on the rate of lift designed into the camshaft.

The faster rate of lift the more spring pressure needed.

It is not uncommon for a radical lift camshaft to require 130# seat pressure & 340# open pressure. This camshaft is not recommended for an everyday street driven vehicle.

But if you want more area under the curve there are camshafts available for this application.

With todays technology a nitrated hardened camshaft & using solid lifters with a .012" oiling orifice in the lifter surface, these radical lift cams can live.

I believe the valve spring comp cams uses on their 260 cam has only 50# seat pressure. Thats all that is needed for this is a slow rate of lift camshaft.

All depends what you want to use your vehicle for. The choice is out there mild to wild. Bill

ive been reading through all that info for the past 2 nights, i would just like a second opinion on the 268 comp cam

I would not use the 268 camshaft.
Need more info on your engine, carburation, exhaust & transmission & rear end ratio. If a C-4 is the converter a stock stall speed.
I would go with a classic inlines 264-274 cam, 110 L/C if stick shift & a 112 L/C if a C-4 trans.
In comp cams go with the extreme energy series in the same duration as above.
Like i said need more info on your engine.
Schneider cams also offers some good profiles.

current setup: c4auto, MSD SF, glasspack (2 1/4 pipe), 2.79 rear
future mods: autolite 300cfm 2bbl, 1.75 intake valves, cam kit, headers

i know you guys are all for the clay smith cams but right now im shopping around to see what different companies offer.

would the 260 comp cam be a better choice than the 268. the motor im going to be using puts out 190 ft/lb of tourque i want to boost that. :eek: and have some mid range power

Neither the comp 268 or the 260. This cam design is antique, slow rate of lift.
If you want to go comp cams have then custom grind a XE256H which is their Xtreme energy series, this cam will give you good low end & mid range power. This is a modern design & will require the valve springs they recommend.
Also get some 1.6 rocker arms, if you can afford it get the 1.6 roller tip rockers. Mike offers these at classic inlines.

If you don't want the clay smith cams, call Jerry @ schneider cams.
they offer an excellent line of cams.

If you want a cam fast, Mike at classic inlines has everything in stock.

All the rest are custom order if you have the time.

Back