Direct mounting triple carburetors?

David_Conwill

Just the other day I stumbled upon this concept of “direct mounting” carburetors to the log-head intake manifolds, and I must say I like the concept. When I found out the Offy 3x1 intake just bolts to the stock 1bbl hole, I thought it seemed somewhat inefficient and started thinking more in terms of going to a single carburetor. But I must say, I find the idea of triple carburetors on a progressive linkage far more appealing. Is there any practical reason not to direct-mount three Holley 1904s on a log head? I do realize that synchronizing multiple carburetors is more trouble than just adapting a progressive Weber or something, but I just can’t shake the image of a finned Classic Inlines valve cover, a white ceramic-coated header, and triple carbs under my hood.

-Dave

When you really get down to it the Offy 3x1 intake is just a kit to simplify the task of direct mounting 3 carbs to the log. It significantly reduces the amount of fabrication work you need to do, or at least that's my take on it.

Hey,
I have a logger with three strombergs mounted too it, have never used it but looks pretty cool and old school ill try get a pic for ya

64xm":22tlpmf6 said:
Hey,
I have a logger with three strombergs mounted too it, have never used it but looks pretty cool and old school ill try get a pic for ya

I would love to see that. I’ve heard it stated on here that putting Strombergs on a Falcon Six would be mixing eras, but I disagree, as the ‘60 to ‘63 period still saw quite a few multiple-Stromberg setups. On the other hand, three twos would be kind of overkill for the Falcon Sixes of the era, I would think, since they were 170 cubes at most. Still, I’ve seen V8/60s with triple Strombergs and those were only 136 cubes, and flatheads to boot.

-Dave

mine :)
012-1.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff192/patrickL727/motor010-1.jpg

more pics on here
http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff192/patrickL727/

Back